Finding AC voltage across Resistor

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the AC voltage across a resistor in a circuit with both AC and DC currents. The equation for voltage across a resistor is mentioned, but it is unclear if it can be used in this situation. The person attempted to solve the problem by removing the battery and using V(max) and V(min), but was unsuccessful. There is also confusion about whether this topic belongs in advanced physics or if it is in the right section. The suggested solution of finding the difference between I(c) max and I(c) min and dividing by 2 is mentioned.
Acuben

Homework Statement

I have three questions
1. How do you find AC voltage across resistor when there are both AC and DC current?
2. is AC voltage across a resistor different from voltage across a resistor?
3. Find AC voltage across Resistor (in this image)
http://img199.imageshack.us/i/acv.gif/
load line Eq: V(ec)=12-6000*I(c)
answer: 1.08v

Homework Equations

Voltage across resistor = I*R
but I do not know if this can be used when there are mixture of

The Attempt at a Solution

well I tried making a AC current by removing battery out of the circuit. I would still get around 3 volts. Also tried using V(max) and V(min) and calculated for I*R(l), but got around 6 volts (which is way off)
now I'm out of ideas. (well I do not understand the problem fully in the first place)
Do I need to use the chart on the bottom?
by the way, does this topic (or anything under circuits, electric fields, and optics-related physics) belong to advanced physics? or is this in the right section?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can I simply find
I(c) max and I(c) min and find both voltage of V(ec) then find the difference divided by 2?

1. What is AC voltage and how does it differ from DC voltage?

AC voltage stands for alternating current voltage. It is a type of electrical current that changes direction periodically. In contrast, DC voltage stands for direct current voltage and flows in only one direction.

2. How is AC voltage measured across a resistor?

AC voltage across a resistor can be measured using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the resistor, and the voltage reading is taken from the voltmeter's display.

3. Why is it important to measure AC voltage across a resistor?

Measuring AC voltage across a resistor can help determine the amount of voltage drop across the resistor, which can affect the overall performance of an electrical circuit. It can also help identify any potential issues or malfunctions within the circuit.

4. How does the value of the resistor affect the AC voltage across it?

The value of the resistor can affect the AC voltage across it by changing the amount of current that flows through it. A higher value resistor will allow less current to flow, resulting in a lower voltage drop, while a lower value resistor will allow more current to flow, resulting in a higher voltage drop.

5. Can AC voltage across a resistor change over time?

Yes, AC voltage across a resistor can change over time as the electrical current alternates. It will typically follow a sinusoidal pattern, with the voltage rising and falling as the current changes direction.