Confused about the theory behind Frobenius' Method

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of singular points in differential equations and the use of Frobenius' method to solve them. It is stated that if A(x)y"+ B(x)y'+ C(x)= 0 has a "regular singular point" at x= a, then it can be solved using Frobenius' method. It is also mentioned that the "Euler-Cauchy" equation is the boundary between regular and irregular singular points. There is confusion about the importance of Frobenius' method and its connection to the choice of defining the root of a complex number. The importance of Frobenius' method is questioned as it seems to be more complicated than simply using a regular power series around any number close
nonequilibrium
Hello,

My course is a bit vague on this topic.

1 First of all it states: if the differential equation A(x)y''(x) + B(x)y'(x) + C(x)y(x) = 0 with A, B, C analytical has A(a) = 0 but B(a) and C(a) NOT both zero, then a is a singular point and we can't solve it with a power series.
Now: what would it change if A(a) = B(a) = C(a) = 0? In other words:
Don't we need Frobenius for
[tex]x^2 y''(x) + x^2 y(x) = 0[/tex]?
You might say "you don't, cause you can just divide the x away for x not zero" then well... I ask: can't we do exactly the same in all the cases where we use Frobenius?
(NB: I just tried to solve it with Frobenius but got the zero function as the solution...)

2 Then the course simply states the theorem that the differential equation
[tex]y''(x) + \frac{p(x)}{x}y'(x) + \frac{q(x)}{x^2}y(x) = 0[/tex]
with p and q analytical around zero and R and r the (real) solutions of the indicial equation, then for x > 0 for R (> r) you certainly have the solution
[tex]y_1(x) = x^R \sum a_n(R) x^n[/tex]
(it also says something about a second solution, but that's let no go into that here)

Now it briefly says that it only works for x > 0 because somewhere we choose to define the root of a complex number for theta in ]-pi,pi[ and we showed that that definition cannot be defined continuously in pi, but I don't really understand how any of that ties into the Frobenius method and where you make that choice in the solution of the Frobenius method.

3 I don't understand the importance of the Frobenius method: why go through so much trouble to get a power-series-esque solution around zero if we can get a regular power series around any number as close to zero as we'd like? (I'm not trashing the method, I'm just trying to understand its importance/significance!)

Thank you very much(!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Specifically, what Frobenius' method says if that A(x)y"+ B(x)y'+ C(x)= 0 has a "regular singlular point" at x= a (and so can be solve by "Frobenius' method") if and only if
[tex]\displaytype\lim_{x\to a}\frac{A(x)}{C^2(x)}[/tex]
and
[tex]\displaytype\lim_{x\to a}\frac{B(x)}{C(x)}[/tex]
exist.

You might think of the "Euler-Cauchy" equation:
[tex]Ax^2y"+ Bxy'+ Cy= 0[/itex]
as the "boundary" between regular and irregular singular points.

1. What is Frobenius' Method?

Frobenius' Method is a mathematical technique used to solve ordinary differential equations with variable coefficients. It was developed by German mathematician Ferdinand Georg Frobenius in the late 19th century.

2. When is Frobenius' Method used?

Frobenius' Method is typically used when other methods, such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients, are not applicable. It is particularly useful for solving equations with singular points or equations that cannot be solved by other means.

3. How does Frobenius' Method work?

Frobenius' Method involves expanding the solution of an ordinary differential equation in a series, with the coefficients of the series being determined by a recursive formula. This allows for a solution to be found even when the equation cannot be solved using traditional methods.

4. What are the limitations of Frobenius' Method?

Frobenius' Method is limited in its applicability to ordinary differential equations with variable coefficients. It also requires the equation to have a regular singular point, which can be difficult to determine in some cases. Additionally, the method may produce complex-valued solutions, which may not be desired in certain applications.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Frobenius' Method?

Yes, Frobenius' Method has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is often used in the study of heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the analysis of differential equations in finance and economics.