Question about zero input frequency response

In summary, the conversation revolved around setting the frequency variable for a program that solves for the zero input frequency response of a differential equation. The input was determined to be sin(2pi * f * t) and there were mixed opinions on whether the frequency should be set to zero or 1/(4t) to make the input always equal to zero. Eventually, it was determined that setting the frequency to zero would be the most effective solution. The person also acknowledges their mistake and the importance of learning from failures.
royzizzle
Zero input means input equals zero

the input is to some differential equation D2x = Dx + x + Input

the input = sin(2pi * f * t)

so say I want to make a program that solves for the zero input frequency response. (Matlab actually)

what would I need to set the variable for frequency to be? would it be 1/(4t) ? to make the input always sin(pi/2) = 0? or do I make the frequency equal to zero.

I've been asking my workmates and getting mixed answers :[

I'm doing this for my research professor btw

Physics news on Phys.org
royzizzle said:
what would I need to set the variable for frequency to be? would it be 1/(4t) ? to make the input always sin(pi/2) = 0? or do I make the frequency equal to zero.

I've been asking my workmates and getting mixed answers :[
Why wouldn't you just set the frequency to zero?
and btw. What is sin(pi/2)?! (hint: not zero).

zhermes said:
why wouldn't you just set the frequency to zero?
And btw. What is sin(pi/2)?! (hint: Not zero).

yes you are right!

Ive cemented my status as a retard

:[

I knew I should have studied my unit circle harder

GOD IM SO STUPID IVE BEEN WRITING A PROGRAM THAT sets the value for f depending on the time vector specified

so much time wasted

Last edited:
lol, don't worry about it man; we learn best from our failures.
Acknowledging being stupid (at times) is a very important form of wisdom (Socratic wisdom).

The zero input frequency response refers to the output of a system when there is no input signal present. In other words, the input to the system is zero. In this case, the differential equation D2x = Dx + x + Input can be simplified to D2x = Dx + x. If we consider the input to be sin(2pi * f * t), then in order to have a zero input frequency response, the frequency f must be set to zero. This means that the input signal is not changing over time and is essentially a constant value of zero.

In Matlab, you can set the frequency f to be equal to zero in order to simulate the zero input frequency response. This will allow you to solve the differential equation and obtain the output of the system when there is no input present.

It's important to note that the zero input frequency response is just one aspect of a system's overall response. In order to fully understand the behavior of a system, it's important to consider both the zero input and non-zero input cases. I hope this helps in your research project.

1. What is a zero input frequency response?

A zero input frequency response is the response of a system when there is no input signal present. It is also known as the steady-state response or the free response.

2. How is the zero input frequency response different from the zero state frequency response?

The zero state frequency response is the response of a system when the initial conditions are not equal to zero. It takes into account the effect of any energy stored in the system. In contrast, the zero input frequency response only considers the response due to the input signal and does not take into account any initial energy in the system.

3. Why is the zero input frequency response important in system analysis?

The zero input frequency response is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a system when there is no external input present. This can provide valuable insights into the stability and performance of the system, and can also help in designing control systems that can compensate for any unwanted behavior in the zero input response.

4. How is the zero input frequency response related to the transfer function of a system?

The transfer function of a system is the ratio of the output to the input in the frequency domain. The zero input frequency response can be obtained by setting the input to zero in the transfer function. In other words, it is the response of the system when the input is replaced by a delta function, which represents an infinitesimally small input.

5. Can the zero input frequency response be used to determine the stability of a system?

Yes, the zero input frequency response can be used to determine the stability of a system. If the response decays to zero as time goes to infinity, the system is stable. If the response grows without bound, the system is unstable. Additionally, the shape of the response can also provide information about the poles and zeros of the system, which can affect the stability.