Learning Programming: Suggestions for a Middle-Schooler?

In summary, In summarizing the content, the person is thinking of teaching their middle child Python and Logo, as well as getting him started with a logical approach to programming, with the ultimate goal of him becoming self-sufficient with software. Additionally, they recommend a couple of resources, including a book on Logo and a Ruby tutorial.
physics girl phd
I'd like to start our middle child (age 11) learning some programming. It's been a long time since I've learned a new language, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, including some texts to get for him (we restrict his online access, so I want his help to come from a book, not online documentation).

Thus far I was thinking about Python (which I haven't used yet either) and this book looked intriguing: http://inventwithpython.com/blog/author/admin/" [Broken], which is available as a free download) though of course I'd like to find a more general beginner book specific to the chosen language too.

At this point I'm open to both language and texts (I plan to get him started after the holidays). Thank you! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org

You might consider Logo, a programming language that's been around for a long time. Here's link to a Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logo_(programming_language [Broken]). There are several books listed at the bottom of the page.

I was very dissapointed by the pygame layout and setup, clippings from sdl, glut, etc.
for ease of interpretation and building upon(since the pygame framework is split into many small libraries)
I recommend Blender and python2.6, They work so well together and are easier to start and understand.

The Blenderartists.org groups have little resources for programming but there is a lot of conversation on gaming.
I forum there and for making games its the best forum to ask.

Thanks so far...

I've noticed our university library has some books on LOGO, including "turtle geometry"... as well as some on Python, so I guess I'll start checking out these two languages on my own.

I'm less interested in him learning how to make games per say (especially since his Xbox is currently being withheld for less than stellar grades in Math and Langauge Arts for not turning in assignments) than I am in getting him to follow some logical patterns and mathematics, as well as just typing something useful (rather than playing with the "word art" function in MS Word). ...He was thinking to himself that if he made games, it would be like the old "text-based" games I used to do on BASIC when I was his age.

That said, of course, anything that keeps his interest and gives him some skills on the computer rather than just using canned Microsoft software is great.

More suggestions, of course, appreciated...

Via http://baheyeldin.com/technology/teaching-kids-programming.html" [Broken] and describes how he and his daughter work through the book.

Mark44 said:
You might consider Logo, a programming language that's been around for a long time.

Something akin to logo is also part of the python standard lib: turtle lib

He might also like scratch, especially since it works with some of the lego robots.

If you would of said: I would like to teach ... I would of said:

Learning a high level language is worthless, theyre popularity changes like the wind.
if you insist, i would look into quicken (TM), and find a low level way into a database languauge.

At 11 years old, she'd probably own her own software company if anyone ever branched her down into assemble language.

Otherwise, I let her figure it out herself.

I would see about looking into "Why's poignant guide to ruby" It's aimed towards kids and then also why's program called "Hackety Hack" that provides interactive lessons for learning the basics of ruby programming.

sn3t said:
I would see about looking into "Why's poignant guide to ruby" It's aimed towards kids and then also why's program called "Hackety Hack" that provides interactive lessons for learning the basics of ruby programming.

And if you're going to do ruby, http://shoes.heroku.com/ [Broken] is a cute little framework for doing GUIs.

story645 said:
And if you're going to do ruby, http://shoes.heroku.com/ [Broken] is a cute little framework for doing GUIs.

Hackety hack is actually based around shoes so that would be a great next step after hackety hack.

1. What is the best programming language for a middle-schooler to learn?

There are many programming languages that are suitable for middle-schoolers to learn, but some popular options include Scratch, Python, and JavaScript. It ultimately depends on the individual's interests and goals.

2. How can I help my child develop an interest in programming?

One way to help your child develop an interest in programming is to expose them to fun and interactive coding activities or games. You can also encourage them to work on projects that align with their interests, such as creating a game or a website.

3. What resources are available for middle-schoolers to learn programming?

There are many online resources available for middle-schoolers to learn programming, including websites, tutorials, and coding platforms specifically designed for kids. Your local library or community center may also offer coding classes or workshops.

4. Is it important for a middle-schooler to learn programming?

Yes, learning programming can provide many benefits for a middle-schooler. It can improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and creativity. It can also prepare them for future careers in technology and give them a better understanding of how technology works in our world.

5. How much time should a middle-schooler spend learning programming?

The amount of time a middle-schooler should spend learning programming depends on their individual goals and interests. It's important to find a balance between learning and other activities. Starting with a few hours per week and gradually increasing the time spent learning can be a good approach.