Mathematics olympiad question

The possible values for n are actually 0 to 42 which is a total of 43 values. So, you are only missing the value 0 which makes your answer off by one. In summary, the conversation is about solving a question through rationalization and finding the possible values for n, which comes out to be zero. The question also discusses the possibility of there being a pattern and the correct answer being 43 values. The conversation also touches on responding to old threads and the correctness of the answer.
rajatgl16
in the ques that i have attached as image with this thread..
I did it as an can be solved to [tex]\sqrt{}n[/tex] by rationalising it.

So as squre root of every natural no. 'n' is smaller than squre root of 'n+1' then in this ques. possible values comes out to be zero. Am i Right?

Attachments

• scan0007-crop.jpg
    scan0007-crop.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 476
Physics news on Phys.org
hi rajatgl16! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)

hint: try an for n = 100 up to 121 :smile:

I;m not getting what you mean. Please elaborate

Check for which n from 100..121 range an > an+1.

Do the same for any other range bounded by k2 and (k+1)2.

Look if there is some pattern.

If there is no pattern, I have no idea what tiny-tim aims at.

#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>
#define MAX 2010

int gint(float x)
{
int n;
n=x;
return n;
}

int main()
{
int a[MAX], j,k, i, count1=0;
for(i=1; i<=MAX; i++){
k=gint(sqrt(i));
a=gint(i/k);
if(a[i-1]>a){
count1++;
printf("a(%d)=%d > a(%d)=%d\n", i-1,a[i-1], i, a);
}
else continue;
}
printf("%d", count1-1);}answer comes out to be 42

rajatgl16 said:
in the ques that i have attached as image with this thread..
I did it as an can be solved to [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex] by rationalising it.

So as squre root of every natural no. 'n' is smaller than squre root of 'n+1' then in this ques. possible values comes out to be zero. Am i Right?

I'm thinking that [itex]a_n > a_{n+1} \forall (n+1)^2 \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

There are [itex]\left\lfloor\sqrt{2010}\right\rfloor = 44[/itex] perfect squares less than 2010, so I get 43 different values for n such that an > an+1.

Mandelbroth said:
I'm thinking that [itex]a_n > a_{n+1} \forall (n+1)^2 \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

There are [itex]\left\lfloor\sqrt{2010}\right\rfloor = 44[/itex] perfect squares less than 2010, so I get 43 different values for n such that an > an+1.
Do you realize that you've just responded to a pretty old thread ?

SammyS said:
Do you realize that you've just responded to a pretty old thread ?
Yes, I noticed. I'd like to know why I'm off by one from naveeniitkgp's answer, so I decided to respond here rather than make a new thread linking back to this one.

Is that bad? If so, I apologize...

Mandelbroth said:
Yes, I noticed. I'd like to know why I'm off by one from naveeniitkgp's answer, so I decided to respond here rather than make a new thread linking back to this one.

Is that bad? If so, I apologize...
No. That's not necessarily bad.

Your answer is correct.

1. What is a mathematics olympiad question?

A mathematics olympiad question is a challenging and complex mathematical problem typically used in competitions such as the International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) to test the problem-solving skills of high school students.

2. How are mathematics olympiad questions different from regular math problems?

Mathematics olympiad questions are different from regular math problems as they often require creative and out-of-the-box thinking to solve. They may involve multiple steps and require a deep understanding of mathematical concepts.

3. What topics are commonly covered in mathematics olympiad questions?

Mathematics olympiad questions can cover a wide range of topics, including algebra, geometry, number theory, and combinatorics. They may also involve applications of these concepts in real-world scenarios.

4. How can I prepare for mathematics olympiad questions?

To prepare for mathematics olympiad questions, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills. Practice by solving past olympiad questions, and also try to think critically and creatively when approaching problems.

5. Are mathematics olympiad questions only for highly gifted students?

No, mathematics olympiad questions are not only for highly gifted students. While they may be challenging, with practice and determination, anyone with strong mathematical skills and problem-solving abilities can excel in these competitions.