Which book would be best for learning Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a comprehensive calculus book to supplement the course being taken. The two options being considered are a basic introduction with computational problems and a detailed treatment with axioms and proofs of advanced statements. It is recommended to get both books for a well-rounded understanding.
Kaldanis
I've begun learning Calculus with the help of my lecturer. It's not covered in the course I'm on and I'll definitely need it for uni! We have covered trig and algebraic functions and I recently worked through a workbook on differentiation and integration. I managed most of it but it isn't very detailed and doesn't explain things too well. Sometimes I feel like I'm going through the motions without fully understanding it! So, I'm looking for a book to study in my own time that fully explains everything and makes you understand what you're doing. I've searched around and narrowed it down to http://www.amazon.com/dp/0521867444/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

I think slightly more were in favour of the Spivak book, but can anyone who has experience with these books please give me their opinion? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
that's like saying i have narrowed my search for a version of the count of monte cristo down to either the 64 page illustrated classic comic, or the unabridged 1400 page version of alexander dumas. i.e. there is no comparison at all between those two calculus books. One of them is a basic introduction with humor and only the fundamental ideas in the simplest way with no proofs at all or even precise definitions and just computational problems, while the other is a detailed treatment with precise axioms and full proofs of the most subtle and advanced statements and difficult problems. I suggest getting them both.

^^^^^^
What he said.

How did you even narrow it down to those two? I'd recommend spivak and something other than thompson one. If you find spivak too challenging read the 2nd one first and then move on to spivak.

Haha, I narrowed it down based on a lecturer suggestion and reading the many calculus threads on here. Thank you both, I'll start with the Spivak then get something else if that's too challenging.

I would recommend the book "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. This book is widely recognized as a comprehensive and rigorous introduction to calculus, making it a valuable resource for both self-study and university level courses. It covers all the necessary topics in depth and provides clear explanations and examples to help with understanding. Additionally, the book has been praised for its challenging exercises, which can help improve problem-solving skills. Overall, I believe this book would be the best choice for someone looking to fully understand calculus and prepare for university studies.

1. What is the best book for learning Calculus?

The best book for learning Calculus may vary depending on individual preferences and learning styles. However, some popular options include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart.

2. What level of knowledge is required to understand a Calculus book?

A basic understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry is typically required to understand a Calculus book. It is also beneficial to have a strong foundation in pre-calculus concepts.

3. Are there any online resources available for learning Calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Calculus, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer video lectures, practice problems, and interactive exercises to help with understanding the material.

4. How long does it usually take to learn Calculus?

The time it takes to learn Calculus can vary for each individual. It depends on factors such as prior knowledge, study habits, and the complexity of the material. However, on average, it may take 1-2 semesters to learn Calculus.

5. Are there any study tips for learning Calculus?

Some study tips for learning Calculus include practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller, manageable steps, seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed, and utilizing resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems.