Why Does NaHCO3 Help Dissolve Aspirin?

• Thread starter josephcollins
  • Start date
In summary: This reaction produces a charged species that is more soluble in water, making the aspirin tablet easier to dissolve. Without the addition of sodium hydrogencarbonate, the aspirin would remain uncharged and less soluble in water. This is due to the polar nature of water, which is not compatible with the non-polar parts of the aspirin molecule.
josephcollins
Hi ppl,
I was wondering could someone help me with this explanation. Why does the addition of Sodium Hydrogencarbonate help an aspirin to dissolve. In tablets of aspirin, acetylsalicylcic acid is mixed with sodium hydrogencarbonate and when the soluble aspirin tablet is dissolved in water the acetylsalicylcic acid and the sodium hydrogencarbonate react together.

Thanks a lot,
joe

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In aqueous solution the basic NaHCO3 can deprotonate the acidic acetylsalicylic acid. The resulting charged species (carboxylate anion) is very soluble in water.

Without the base then the acid would be protonated and therefore uncharged. The rest of the molecule is rather non-polar and thus not very soluble in polar solvents like water.

As Movies explained the issue well, I will only give the reaction scheme.

[tex]HSal + NaHCO_3 \longrightarrow Sal^- Na^+ + CO_2 + H_2O[/tex]

Normally, H2CO3 is expected to be formed, but is very unstable to yield carbon dioxide and water for lower energy and higher unregularity (entropy) needs.

josephcollins said:
Hi ppl,
I was wondering could someone help me with this explanation. Why does the addition of Sodium Hydrogencarbonate help an aspirin to dissolve. In tablets of aspirin, acetylsalicylcic acid is mixed with sodium hydrogencarbonate and when the soluble aspirin tablet is dissolved in water the acetylsalicylcic acid and the sodium hydrogencarbonate react together.

Thanks a lot,
joe

It's very similar to that between benzoic acid and sodium hydrogencarbonate.

C6H5COOH + NaHCO3 -----> C6H5COONa + CO2 + H2O
NaHCO3

I can provide an explanation for why NaHCO3 helps dissolve aspirin. The addition of sodium hydrogencarbonate (NaHCO3) to aspirin tablets helps to increase the solubility of aspirin in water. This is because NaHCO3 is a basic compound, meaning it has a high pH, and aspirin is an acidic compound, meaning it has a low pH. When these two compounds are mixed together, they undergo a neutralization reaction, where the basic NaHCO3 reacts with the acidic aspirin to form a salt and water. This reaction produces a more water-soluble form of aspirin, making it easier for the tablet to dissolve in water. Additionally, the reaction also produces carbon dioxide gas, which helps to break up the tablet and further aid in its dissolution. Therefore, the addition of NaHCO3 to aspirin tablets helps to increase the solubility of aspirin in water, making it easier for the body to absorb and utilize the medication. I hope this explanation helps.

1. Why is NaHCO3 used to dissolve aspirin?

NaHCO3, also known as sodium bicarbonate or baking soda, is used to dissolve aspirin because it is a basic compound. Aspirin is an acidic compound and dissolves more readily in a basic solution. NaHCO3 also helps to neutralize the stomach acid and reduce irritation that can be caused by aspirin.

2. How does NaHCO3 help dissolve aspirin?

NaHCO3 helps dissolve aspirin by reacting with the acidic components of aspirin, such as acetyl salicylic acid, to form a salt and water. This reaction increases the solubility of aspirin and allows it to dissolve more easily in solution.

3. Can other substances be used to dissolve aspirin?

Yes, there are other substances that can be used to dissolve aspirin. For example, aspirin is soluble in hot water and alcohol, and can also be dissolved in acidic solutions such as lemon juice or vinegar. However, NaHCO3 is often preferred due to its availability and effectiveness.

4. Is it necessary to use NaHCO3 to dissolve aspirin?

No, it is not necessary to use NaHCO3 to dissolve aspirin. As mentioned, there are other substances that can also dissolve aspirin. However, NaHCO3 is commonly used as it is a safe and easily accessible option.

5. Are there any potential side effects of using NaHCO3 to dissolve aspirin?

In general, using NaHCO3 to dissolve aspirin does not have any significant side effects. However, excessive intake of NaHCO3 can lead to alkalosis, a condition where the body's pH becomes too basic. It is important to follow recommended dosages and consult a healthcare professional if any concerns arise.