Properties of Gl(n,R); R a ring/division ring

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic properties of Gl(n,R), which is the group of invertible matrices over a ring R. The main difference between Gl(n,R) and Gl(n,F) is that in a commutative ring, a matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is a unit, while in a field, every nonzero element is a unit. In terms of noncommutative rings, the properties are not as well-known. The conversation also mentions the concept of orthogonal and symplectic groups associated with Gl(n,R), which are subgroups that preserve certain forms.
Bacle
Hi, All:

Could someone please tell me or give me a ref. on the basic properties of

Gl(n,R) ; R a ring; possibly a division ring, and Gl(n,R) the group (under composition)

of matrices invertible over R ? (I imagine we need a ring R with 1 , to talk about

invertibility). I mostly would like to see how the properties of Gl(n,R) are different

from those of Gl(n,F) , where F is a field.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a commutative ring, a matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is a unit.
If that ring is a field, every nonzero element is a unit so we recover the well-known result that a matrix is invertible if and only if it has nonvanishing determinant.
Example: a matrix over the integers has an inverse over the integers if and only if its determinant is plus or minus 1.

As for noncommutative rings, I really don't know anything...

Wow, I'm keeping you busy today, henry_m.

Do you know anything about orthogonal and symplectic groups

associated to Gl(n,R)? I mean, we have an R-module R_M , and

symplectic /quadratic forms q_S , q_Q respectively . Then the symplectic/orthogonal group

associated with (R_M,Q) is defined to be the subgroup of Gl(n,R) that preserves q_S, resp. q_Q.

What is Gl(n,R)?

Gl(n,R) is the general linear group of n-dimensional matrices with real entries. It is the set of invertible n-by-n matrices, and forms a group under matrix multiplication.

What is the difference between a ring and a division ring?

A ring is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, along with two operations (usually addition and multiplication) that satisfy certain properties. A division ring, also known as a skew field, is a ring in which every nonzero element has a multiplicative inverse. In other words, every element in a division ring can be divided by any other nonzero element in the ring.

What are some properties of Gl(n,R)?

Some properties of Gl(n,R) include the fact that it is a subgroup of the general linear group of n-dimensional matrices, it contains all invertible n-by-n matrices, and it is a non-abelian group (meaning that the order in which matrices are multiplied matters).

What is the significance of Gl(n,R) in mathematics?

Gl(n,R) is a fundamental group in abstract algebra and has many applications in various fields of mathematics, including linear algebra, group theory, and differential equations. It also has important connections to other mathematical structures such as Lie groups and Lie algebras.

How is Gl(n,R) related to other groups?

Gl(n,R) is a subgroup of the group of invertible n-by-n matrices, which is a subgroup of the group of all n-by-n matrices. It is also a subgroup of the general linear group of n-dimensional vector spaces over the real numbers, and a subgroup of the special linear group (the subgroup of matrices with determinant 1).