Exploring the Limits of My Rocket

In summary, a model rocket with a long burning engine, light sensor, accelerometers, and microcontroller programmed to chase the brightest light source could potentially reach a few thousand feet above a balloon. However, its control system may not work at high altitudes due to lack of air for the fins. Additionally, at the outer edge of the Earth's atmosphere, extreme cold temperatures and vibrations from the engine could cause the rocket's electronics and structural components to malfunction or break.
malfdawg
I've built a model rocket with the longest burning engine I could find, a light sensor in the nose cone, accelerometers on the forward fins all connected to an Arduino pro mini microcontroller programmed to keep it pointed at the brightest source of light. If I attach this rocket to a balloon and set it so that the microcontroller fires the engine when the balloon dramatically loses pressure (it pops), and assuming everything goes right - the rocket expends most of its fuel while pointing at the sun/moon when they are at the highest point in the sky... How far could my rocket get? Can it survive the conditions of space?

Yes I know building a guided rocket that chases the brightest light it sees is probably frowned upon in some places, I doubt it'll be a problem where I live.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Based on the tone of the question, I'd say you'll get a few thousand feet above the balloon. Your biggest problem will be that your control system won't work at high altitude - there isn't enough air for the fins to grab.

Getting into space is not as easy as you think.

I'm no expert on space but I would think that controlling the rocket's direction through vectored thrust rather than movable fins would result in better control in a low pressure atmosphere.

But perhaps you should clarify what you mean by "space". The Earth's atmosphere has several regions and actual "space" doesn't begin for several hundred miles.

My opinion is that if you should manage to make it to the outer edge of the atmosphere the extreme cold will freeze the electronics (causing them to malfunction or stop altogether) and some important stuctural components. Certain materials such as some plastics and even certain grades of common metals become very brittle at extreme low temperatures and the vibration from the engine could shatter the rocket.

1. How high can my rocket go?

The maximum height that a rocket can reach depends on various factors such as its design, engine power, and atmospheric conditions. It is important to carefully calculate and test these factors before launching your rocket to ensure safety and success.

2. How fast can my rocket travel?

The speed of a rocket depends on its engine power and the amount of thrust it can produce. The average speed of a rocket can range from thousands to tens of thousands of miles per hour, making it one of the fastest modes of transportation.

3. How can I ensure my rocket stays on course?

To ensure your rocket stays on its intended course, you must carefully calculate its trajectory and use guidance systems such as gyroscopes and GPS. Regular monitoring and adjustments during the flight can also help keep the rocket on track.

4. What safety measures should I take when launching my rocket?

Launching a rocket can be a dangerous activity, so it is important to take all necessary safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear, ensuring proper clearance from buildings and people, and having a launch abort system in case of emergencies.

5. How can I improve the performance of my rocket?

To improve the performance of your rocket, you can experiment with different designs, engines, and propellants. Conducting thorough tests and making adjustments based on the results can help you optimize your rocket's performance and reach new limits.