Polarizability of Fixed Dipole Interactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of van der Waals forces, specifically the polarizability and potential field equations for induced-fixed dipole and fixed dipole-dipole interactions. The confusion lies in the fixed dipole-dipole interaction, where the potential field does not take into account the polarizability. This is due to the Keesom interaction being larger than the Debye interaction, making the induced polarization negligible compared to permanent dipoles.
Caveman11
Hi all,

I've been having a problem with understanding some of the van der Waals forces. I understand that the polarizability of a induced-fixed dipole interation is:

\begin{equation}\alpha =4\pi\epsilon r^{3} \end{equation}

Which leads to the potential field (assuming two different substances):

\begin{equation}
U(r)=-\displaystyle\frac{\mu_{1}^{2}\alpha_{2}+\mu_{2}^{2}\alpha_{1}}{16\pi^{2}\epsilon^{2}r^{6}}
\end{equation}

and therefore the force between them.

My problem lies with the fixed dipole-dipole interaction. Now I understand that the polarizability has to take into account the orientation of the molecule/atom to give:

\begin{equation}\alpha =4\pi\epsilon r^{3} + \displaystyle\frac{\mu^{2}}{3k_{B}T} \end{equation}

This is where I get confused. I have read in "Scanning force microscopy-Dror Sarid" that the potential field between two fixed dipoles does not take into acount there polarizability

\begin{equation}
U(r)=-\displaystyle\frac{\mu_{1}^{2}\mu_{2}^{2}}{48\pi^{2}\epsilon^{2}KTr^{6}}
\end{equation}

Why is that?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thankyou in advance.

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Polarization is effect of radiation by bodies of electromagnetic waves in directions distinct from a direction of an external electromagnetic field. It is connected to that that dipoles which radiate, can be built in a body not on a direction of a field and somehow differently. The direction of radiation depends on a direction of these dipoles and does not depend on potential between them.

Why is that?

Because the Keesom interaction is larger than the Debye interaction. Permanent dipoles are generally stronger than induced ones. So if you neglect the induced polarization, you're effectively setting the polarizability to zero, and so that's what you end up with.

Note that your polarizability here is itself just a simple linear approximation, and that it has higher orders. (And is frequency dependent as well, so this is actually the _static_ polarizability)

1. What is polarizability?

Polarizability is a measure of how easily an electron cloud in a molecule can be distorted by an external electric field. It is a property that determines the strength of the interaction between a molecule and an electric field.

2. How is polarizability related to fixed dipole interactions?

Fixed dipole interactions occur when a molecule with a permanent dipole moment interacts with an external electric field. The polarizability of the molecule determines how much the electron cloud can be distorted, thus affecting the strength of the fixed dipole interaction.

3. What factors affect the polarizability of a molecule?

The size of the molecule, the number of electrons, and the electron distribution within the molecule can all affect its polarizability. Generally, larger molecules with more electrons and more diffuse electron clouds have higher polarizabilities.

4. How does polarizability impact the physical properties of a molecule?

Polarizability affects a molecule's ability to interact with other molecules and external fields, which can impact its melting and boiling points, solubility, and other physical properties. Molecules with higher polarizabilities tend to have stronger intermolecular interactions and higher boiling points.

5. Can polarizability be measured experimentally?

Yes, polarizability can be measured through various experimental techniques such as Raman spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, and dielectric constant measurements. These methods allow for the determination of the polarizability tensor, which describes the directional dependence of polarizability in a molecule.