Boundary conditions for buckling of column

In summary, there is a confusion about the application of loads to a fixed-fixed column. One end is fixed in both x and y directions, while the other is only fixed in the y direction, allowing for buckling. It is unclear if both ends are meant to be fixed and then loaded simultaneously. The image provided shows an example of a buckled column with one end fixed and the other free to move.
karthickaero1
For fixed-fixed BC's, i have to arrest x and y displ. For simply supported case, i have to arrest y displ. Then my doubt is, while applying force at the end of the column, how the displacement will happen for fixed-fixed column.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to fix both ends and then apply loads to them?

yeah...that's my doubt...

I don't see how you want to call the ends fixed and apply loads to them simulateously. Are you sure that is what is being asked of you?

Travis_King said:
I don't see how you want to call the ends fixed and apply loads to them simulateously. Are you sure that is what is being asked of you?

I read it as one end being fixed in both x and y, and the other only in y, thus free to move so as to allow buckling, like http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/54/Buckled_column.png" Is that the problem you're describing, karthickaero1?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are boundary conditions for buckling of column?

Boundary conditions for buckling of column refer to the constraints or limitations placed on a column that prevent it from buckling under compressive loads. These conditions include the type of support at the ends of the column, the type of load applied, and the material properties of the column.

2. Why are boundary conditions important for buckling of column?

Boundary conditions play a crucial role in determining the stability of a column under compressive loads. They ensure that the column does not buckle or fail prematurely, which can have serious consequences in engineering and construction projects.

3. What are the different types of boundary conditions for buckling of column?

There are four main types of boundary conditions for buckling of column: simply supported, fixed, pinned, and free. In a simply supported condition, the column is supported at both ends but is allowed to rotate. In a fixed condition, the column is restrained from both rotation and translation. In a pinned condition, the column is only restrained from translation. In a free condition, the column is not constrained at either end.

4. How do boundary conditions affect the buckling load of a column?

The buckling load of a column is directly influenced by the type of boundary conditions applied. A column with fixed or pinned boundary conditions will have a higher buckling load compared to a column with simply supported or free boundary conditions. This is because the fixed and pinned conditions provide more support and restraint, making the column more resistant to buckling.

5. Can boundary conditions be changed to prevent buckling of a column?

Yes, boundary conditions can be altered to prevent buckling of a column. For example, adding support or increasing the stiffness of the column can help to prevent buckling. However, these changes may also affect other aspects of the structure, such as its overall stability or load-bearing capacity, and should be carefully considered and analyzed by a qualified engineer.