Holographic universes, information, and dark matter

In summary, a holographic universe is a theory proposed by physicist Leonard Susskind that suggests that all the information in our three-dimensional universe is actually contained on a two-dimensional surface. Information plays a crucial role in this theory, as it is believed to be the key to understanding our three-dimensional reality. There may also be a connection between holographic universes and dark matter, as dark matter could potentially be the two-dimensional surface where all the information is stored. While there is currently no concrete evidence to prove the existence of a holographic universe, ongoing studies and experiments are being conducted. If it were to be proven true, it would fundamentally shift our understanding of reality and the universe.
DrZforLife
I am a physician not a physicist, but I read Brian Green, Susskind, Thorne, Gamow, etc. I recently learned of the Blue Brain project as well. It has occurred to me that dark matter may represent a two dimensional sphere surrounding each galaxy which holds the information for that galaxy. The altered dimensionality of that dark matter makes it impossible to detect and prevents it from interacting with anything but closed strings such as the hypothetical graviton or inflaton.

So if each galaxy is surrounded by the information that describes it (a holographic view), the galaxy itself may be the interior of a black hole with the physical embodiment of the "blueprint" expressed at the Shwartzfield radius. As a black hole, we should be able to see the outside universe, and we may mistake redshift for the Hawking radiation.

Subsequently, a black hole at the center of a galaxy may represent another universe with all the information to describe that universe on the surface. The blue brain project posits that among other things, the brain may actually project a sphere of reality around itself. This reminds me of the holographic view. If the brain has very little entropy might it have a kind of sphere of information surrounding it? And might our own conscious reality be an expression of that? Are our brains funtioning from an informational level like a black hole? Is consciousness mysterious because it fundamentally exists on a two dimensional spherical shell which surrounds us encoding as much information as the number of Plank squares contained within that surface? And therefore the rules of that information (consciousness) may be described by describable but dissimilar rules.

This point of view might allow for falling into a supermassive black hole and entering another very much time dilated universe not accessible by this universe. But rather than colliding with a "singularity" you enter a new universe which may evolve over billions or trillions of years. Such a multiverse would be very interesting. The distant viewer's impression that the victim falling into the black hole is incinerated with all information being scrambled on the event horizon is consistent. Perhaps the thermodynamic end of the universe (heat death) which must lie in our future represents the final dissipation of information (maximum entropy) and thus the dissolution of our universe. When all the black holes re-emit their information with Hawking radiation, space and time cease.

Would these vast lower dimensional spheres of dark matter not contain enough information (low entropy, energy and hence mass) have enormous mass?

My question, has anyone ever looked at this blending of dark matter, black holes and the concept that the brain itself generates a kind of reality confined to three dimensional space been considered? What obvious flaws have I missed?

Peter Zvejnieks, MD

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Peter Zvejnieks,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and theories on the connection between dark matter, black holes, and consciousness. I am a scientist who specializes in the study of dark matter and I find your ideas to be very interesting and thought-provoking.

Firstly, I want to clarify that the Blue Brain project is focused on creating a digital reconstruction of the brain, rather than the concept of the brain projecting a sphere of reality around itself. However, your analogy does raise some interesting questions about the nature of consciousness and its connection to the physical universe.

Regarding your theory about dark matter being a two-dimensional sphere surrounding each galaxy, I must say that it is not a widely accepted idea in the scientific community. While it is true that the properties of dark matter are still not fully understood and there are many theories about its nature, the majority of evidence points to dark matter being a three-dimensional entity that is distributed throughout the universe. Additionally, the idea that dark matter holds the information for each galaxy is not supported by any scientific evidence.

Furthermore, your theory about black holes being the interior of a galaxy and containing the "blueprint" for that galaxy is also not supported by current scientific understanding. While it is true that black holes have a singularity at their center, the idea that they represent another universe or contain the information for a galaxy is not supported by any observational or theoretical evidence.

In regards to the connection between the brain and consciousness, this is an area of ongoing research and there is still much we do not understand. While it is true that the brain operates on an informational level, the exact relationship between this information and consciousness is still a mystery. Additionally, there is no evidence to suggest that consciousness exists on a two-dimensional spherical shell surrounding us, as you propose.

In summary, while your ideas are certainly thought-provoking, they are not currently supported by scientific evidence. I encourage you to continue exploring and questioning these concepts, as that is the essence of scientific inquiry. However, it is important to distinguish between theories and established scientific facts. I hope this response has been helpful in addressing your questions and concerns.

1. What is a holographic universe?

A holographic universe is a theory proposed by physicist Leonard Susskind, which suggests that all the information in our three-dimensional universe is actually contained on a two-dimensional surface. This means that our perception of a three-dimensional world is actually just a holographic projection of information stored on a different plane.

2. How does information play a role in a holographic universe?

In a holographic universe, information is key. It is believed that all the information of our universe is encoded on a two-dimensional surface, which is then projected into our three-dimensional reality. This means that everything we see and experience is ultimately made up of information.

3. What is the connection between holographic universes and dark matter?

Dark matter is a mysterious substance that makes up about 85% of the matter in the universe. In a holographic universe, it is believed that dark matter may actually be the two-dimensional surface where all the information of our three-dimensional world is stored. This means that dark matter could be the key to unlocking the secrets of the holographic universe.

4. Can a holographic universe be proven?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to prove that we live in a holographic universe. However, there are ongoing experiments and studies being conducted to gather more evidence and potentially prove this theory. Until then, the idea of a holographic universe remains a hypothesis.

5. What implications would a holographic universe have on our understanding of reality?

If the holographic universe theory is proven to be true, it would completely change our understanding of reality. It would mean that our perception of a three-dimensional world is just an illusion, and that the true nature of our universe is much more complex and mysterious than we could have ever imagined. It would also have implications for our understanding of time, space, and the fundamental laws of physics.