Work pumping oil out of partially filled horizontal tank

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an integral to find the work required to pump out oil with a density of 9000N/m3 from a horizontal cylindrical tank with a radius of 5m and length of 15m, at a depth of 4m. The conversation also mentions using the equation of a semicircle to find the area of one vertical "slice" of the oil and calculating the weight of the oil. However, it is noted that the work itself needs to be considered and incorporated into the integral.
Phox

Homework Statement

"Oil weighing 9000N/m3 is to be pumped out of the top of a horizontal cylindrical tank of radius 5m and length 15m. Set up an integral to find the work required to pump out the oil to the top of the tank if the depth of the oil is 4m."

Homework Equations

I used y = (r2-x2)(1/2) for the equation of a semicircle.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I decided to try and find the area of one vertical "slice" of the oil. So what I've done is graphed a semicircle of radius 5 to represent this. The equation was x = (52-y2)(1/2). I used dy as my variable of integration. And then I said it was bounded from 1 to 5 (given that the depth of the oil is 4.)

From this exact integral I got the answer 19.56m2. I then multiplied this by 15m to get the volume - 293.49m3.

Given that the density of the oil is 9000N/m3, I found the weight of the oil to be 2,641,410N.

Now I need to set up the integral to find the work done. This is where I'm stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might help to visualize it a bit

2zs67g6.png

Hi,
Firstly, let me say that on the face of it, it seems you've done a thorough job, well done!
But you neglected one key factor, and that's the work itself?
Why is there work to be done anyway, it's because gravity resists the extraction of the oil, whic has weight.
Needless to say, [itex] W = \displaystyle \int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r} [/itex]
Every ounce removed, for every inch, is work done.
So you have to incorporate that into your integral, as I see it.
Daniel

1. How does work pumping oil out of a partially filled horizontal tank differ from pumping out a full tank?

When pumping oil out of a partially filled horizontal tank, the work required is less compared to pumping out a full tank. This is because there is less weight of oil to be lifted and less pressure needed to overcome in a partially filled tank.

2. What factors affect the amount of work required to pump oil out of a partially filled horizontal tank?

The amount of work required to pump oil out of a partially filled horizontal tank is affected by the height of the oil level, the density of the oil, and the size of the pump. A higher oil level, denser oil, and a smaller pump will require more work to overcome the pressure and lift the oil out of the tank.

3. Is there a limit to how much oil can be pumped out of a partially filled horizontal tank?

Yes, there is a limit to how much oil can be pumped out of a partially filled horizontal tank. This limit is determined by the height of the oil level and the size of the pump. Once the pump can no longer overcome the pressure and lift the oil, the pumping process will stop.

4. How does the shape of the tank affect the work required to pump oil out of a partially filled horizontal tank?

The shape of the tank does not significantly affect the work required to pump oil out of a partially filled horizontal tank. As long as the oil level and density remain the same, the work required will mainly depend on the height of the oil level and the size of the pump.

5. Can the work required to pump oil out of a partially filled horizontal tank be reduced?

Yes, the work required to pump oil out of a partially filled horizontal tank can be reduced by using a larger pump or lowering the oil level. This will decrease the pressure and weight that needs to be overcome, resulting in less work required. Additionally, using a more efficient pump and properly maintaining it can also help reduce the work required.