Recommendations for re-learning mathematics?

In summary, the individual is seeking help with revising for an undergraduate course in Mathematics, specifically in the areas of Linear Algebra and Calculus. They are looking for tips, good sources for learning and studying, and which subjects to focus on. Some suggestions include going through the MIT ocw math course and their solutions, using MathTutor DVDs or KhanAcademy for videos and courses, and reading Precalculus Demystified as a refresher. This book also includes quizzes and an exam for review.
cfgsa
I am, then, to begin an undergraduate course in Mathematics (Philosophy and Mathematics, precisely) and I am in need of some help.

It's been over two years since I last studied maths in school, and so I would like counsel as to what you consider would be sensible revising. I understand that my course touches mainly on Linear Algebra and Calculus ; what should I be looking at , any particular tips to get me on my feet , good sources for learning and studying alike , which subjects should I peruse ?

Thank you .

C

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mathtutor DVD's are great for re-learning some material, and if you'd rather not pay, there is the KhanAcademy.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

He has videos/courses on most basic mathematics through calculus.

For me, I just read Precalculus Demystified in order to get back all the information I lost.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071439277/?tag=pfamazon01-20

After that I was ready to take calculus, and used it as a reference tool throughout the course. She does have short quizzes at the end of each chapter and an exam at the end of the book covering every single concept that was taught within the book. It acts more as a refresher for some and a sort of introductory course for others. Check it out if that is the type of book you're looking for to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the benefits of re-learning mathematics?

Re-learning mathematics can have numerous benefits, such as improving critical thinking skills, increasing problem-solving abilities, and enhancing overall brain function. It can also open up career opportunities in fields such as science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM).

2. How do I know which areas of mathematics I need to re-learn?

The best way to determine which areas of mathematics you need to re-learn is by taking a diagnostic test or assessment. This will help identify your strengths and weaknesses and allow you to focus on the areas that need the most improvement.

3. Is it necessary to start from the beginning when re-learning mathematics?

No, it is not necessary to start from the beginning when re-learning mathematics. You can begin by reviewing the basics and then move on to more advanced concepts. It is important to build a strong foundation before moving on to more complex topics.

4. How much time should I dedicate to re-learning mathematics?

The amount of time needed to re-learn mathematics varies depending on the individual's level of proficiency and the specific areas they need to work on. It is recommended to set a consistent study schedule and dedicate at least a few hours each week to re-learning mathematics.

5. What resources are available for re-learning mathematics?

There are many resources available for re-learning mathematics, including online courses, textbooks, practice problems, and tutoring services. You can also find free resources such as Khan Academy or educational YouTube channels. It is important to find the resources that work best for your learning style.