What are the Strongest Intermolecular Forces in these Compounds?

In summary, for the compounds I to VII, the following interactions are present: I. Ion-Dipole, II. Ion-Ion, III. Covalent, IV. Covalent, V. Hydrogen bonds, VI. Ion-Ion, VII. Ion-Dipole. The compounds with ionic bonds are II, VI, and VII, while the compounds with covalent bonds are III and IV. HBr and HI have a small electronegativity difference, suggesting they would form covalent bonds, while Fe has a larger difference and would form ionic bonds. The compound with a "metal bond" is III, as it contains Fe.
parwana
For the compounds I to VII pick the letter that corresponds to the correct interactions between particles of that particular compound.
If more than one type of interaction exists for a compound, pick the letter that corresponds to the strongest interaction.

a) Ion-Ion b) Ion-Dipole c) Dipole-Dipole
d) Hydrogen bonds e) Dipole-Induced Dipole f) Dispersion forces
g) Metal bonds h) Covalent bonds

I. liquid BF3 II. solid HBr III. solid Fe

IV. graphite V. liquid H2O

VI. solid HI VII. liquid KCN

all i know is H20 is hydrogen bonds, please help with this!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Which compounds consist of ionic bonds, and which consist of covalent bonds ?

And the one that is a "metal bond" should be pretty easy...

yeah Fe is the metal bonds, but HBr and HI could be either ion ion or dispersion?? And the rest I have no clue

Have you done electronegativity yet? If so, what is the electronegative difference between two elements under consideration? What does that tell you about the bonds they would form?

1. What are intermolecular forces?

Intermolecular forces are attractive or repulsive forces between molecules. These forces are responsible for the physical properties of substances, such as boiling point, melting point, and viscosity.

2. What are the different types of intermolecular forces?

The three main types of intermolecular forces are London dispersion forces, dipole-dipole forces, and hydrogen bonding. London dispersion forces are the weakest and occur between all molecules. Dipole-dipole forces occur between polar molecules, and hydrogen bonding occurs between hydrogen atoms and highly electronegative atoms, such as oxygen, nitrogen, or fluorine.

3. How do intermolecular forces affect the physical properties of a substance?

Intermolecular forces play a crucial role in determining the boiling point, melting point, and viscosity of a substance. The stronger the intermolecular forces, the higher the boiling point and melting point, and the thicker the substance will be.

4. How are intermolecular forces different from intramolecular forces?

Intramolecular forces are the forces that hold atoms together within a molecule, while intermolecular forces are the forces between molecules. Intramolecular forces are much stronger than intermolecular forces, and they are responsible for the chemical properties of a substance, such as reactivity and bonding.

5. How can intermolecular forces be affected?

Intermolecular forces can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the size and shape of molecules. Increasing the temperature or pressure can weaken the intermolecular forces, while decreasing the temperature or increasing the molecular size can strengthen the forces.