Chromosomes, Chromatids, Chromatin

• Thread starter Demiwing
  • Start date
In summary, chromosomes are shaped like a | and they duplicate into X which is two sister chromatids connected in the middle.
Demiwing
Ahh...my classmates are all asking me this. What is the difference between those? Chromosomes is (>) right? Then When they duplicate its sister Chromatids (X)? Then during mitosis anaphase, they get pulled back into (>) correct? Please, someone help confirm. Note: This is not the X, Y thing, but Just how they are shaped. Thanks in advance.

And Chromatin is the collective chromosomes after they are condensed?

Biology news on Phys.org
Unless I'm missing something glaringly obvious because of the late hour, yes, you have it right.

That's right, but it's better to visualize a chromosome as | which will duplicate into X which is two sister chromatids connected in the middle.

Monique said:
That's right, but it's better to visualize a chromosome as | which will duplicate into X which is two sister chromatids connected in the middle.

Monique! You're back! We've missed you!

I know using | is the standard way people draw a chromosome, but I actually liked the > notation for illustration here. Besides, I had to stare at the keyboard a bit to figure out where the | key was. :biggrin: I'm not disagreeing with you, just sharing an opinion.

Yeah, I got confused when I saw the > :tongue2:

I'm still waiting to get an internet connection hooked up to my house, but it shouldn't be too long now anymore *whoohoo* subleasing and sloppy housebosses that don't pay bills :rolleyes: at least I still got gas and heating :wink: for now..

Monique said:
Yeah, I got confused when I saw the > :tongue2:

I'm still waiting to get an internet connection hooked up to my house, but it shouldn't be too long now anymore *whoohoo* subleasing and sloppy housebosses that don't pay bills :rolleyes: at least I still got gas and heating :wink: for now..

Oh, that's right, you just moved. We were starting to think your Prince Charming :!) swept you away on his white steed and took you to fairy land where we'd never hear from you again. :tongue2:

That too :wink:

Chromosomes
Chromatids - two strands held by centromere that are genetically identical
Chromatin - dark area during interphase when chromosomes have not condensed.

garytse86 said:
Chromosomes
Chromatids - two strands held by centromere that are genetically identical
Chromatin - dark area during interphase when chromosomes have not condensed.

Read the original post by Demiwing. The answers in that were correct.

1. What are chromosomes?

Chromosomes are thread-like structures found in the nucleus of a cell. They contain genetic information in the form of DNA, which carries instructions for the development and functioning of an organism.

2. What is the difference between chromatids and chromosomes?

Chromatids are two identical copies of a chromosome that are joined together by a structure called the centromere. They are formed during the process of DNA replication and are separated during cell division.

3. What is chromatin?

Chromatin is the complex of DNA and proteins that make up chromosomes. It is the uncondensed form of DNA, and is responsible for regulating gene expression and DNA replication.

4. How many chromosomes do humans have?

Humans typically have 46 chromosomes, or 23 pairs, in each cell. This includes 22 pairs of autosomes, which control general body functions, and 1 pair of sex chromosomes, which determine a person's biological sex.

5. Can changes in chromosomes lead to genetic disorders?

Yes, changes in the structure or number of chromosomes can lead to genetic disorders. These changes can be caused by errors in DNA replication, exposure to environmental factors, or inherited from parents.