Do I Need My Own Antiparticle to Calculate D^0 Decay to K^++π^-?

• Thread starter KBriggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the conversation discusses the Feynman diagram for the decay D^0 → K^+ + π^-. The question is asked if the D meson is its own antiparticle. It is then clarified that the decay is actually D^0 → K^- + π+. It is suggested to start with an anti-D^0 instead. The possibility of changing D to anti-D by exchanging gluons is mentioned, and reference is made to Cabibbo suppression. The decay is found to be doubly Cabibbo suppressed, making it much less likely than the originally posted decay. The questioner asks for an explanation of Cabibbo suppression and requests a resource for further understanding.
KBriggs
I am trying to work out the Feynman diagram for the decay

[tex]D^0\to K^++\pi^-[/tex]

But I can't seem to get it unless the D meson is its own antiparticle. Could someone tell me if this is the case? Ie, is [tex]|\bar{u}c\rangle = |u\bar{c}\rangle[/tex]?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That's because the decay is actually D0 → K- + π+. Maybe you want to start with an anti-D0

No, the question gives three decays, one of which is the one you posted and another is the one I posted.

Could I change D to anti-D by having the two constituent quarks exchange a gluon, so that the decay I posted would then proceed from the antiparticle?

See for example decay modes 42 and 213 here: http://pdg.lbl.gov/2008/listings/s032.pdf

Last edited:
Do you know what Cabibbo suppression is? That decay is doubly Cabibbo suppressed. That should help you.

Update: seem to work if the c decays into d and a W^+ meson, which then decays into u and anti-s

any problems there?

this decay is apparently the much less likely than the one you posted. Why is that?

EDIT: I don't yet know what cabibbo suppression is. Do you know of a resource that explains it? Google turns up a lot of scholarly stuff that assumes I know it already.

1. What is D^0 decay to K^++π^-?

D^0 decay to K^++π^- refers to a specific type of particle decay in which a D^0 meson (made up of a charm quark and an anti-up quark) decays into a K^+ meson (made up of an up quark and an anti-strange quark) and a π^- meson (made up of an anti-up quark and a down quark).

2. Why is it important to calculate D^0 decay to K^++π^-?

D^0 decay to K^++π^- is an important process to study in particle physics because it can provide insights into the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of subatomic particles.

3. Do I need my own antiparticle to calculate D^0 decay to K^++π^-?

No, you do not need your own antiparticle to calculate D^0 decay to K^++π^- as the calculations can be done using the properties of known particles and their interactions.

4. How is D^0 decay to K^++π^- calculated?

D^0 decay to K^++π^- is calculated using mathematical equations and principles from quantum field theory and particle physics. These calculations involve considering the properties and interactions of the particles involved, as well as conservation laws such as energy and momentum.

5. What is the significance of D^0 decay to K^++π^- in current research?

Currently, D^0 decay to K^++π^- is being studied in experiments such as the Large Hadron Collider to better understand the nature of the strong nuclear force and the structure of matter. This process also plays a role in the study of CP violation, which is a phenomenon that could help explain the asymmetry between matter and antimatter in the universe.