Learning to really make use of mathematics?

• Thread starter redwire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the speaker is a first-year university student who is struggling with problem solving despite having a strong background in math. They are seeking resources and techniques to improve their problem-solving skills, particularly in the areas of discrete mathematics. The speaker also suggests that different areas of math may require different problem-solving skills and encourages the listener to practice and become more comfortable with problem solving.
redwire
Hello, everyone.
I have recently been plagued by the knowledge that I have no useful mathematical skills for problem solving. I'm currently in my first year of university and doing quite well with everything.
The problem is, when I try working through some math problems (such as those on project euler and mathschallenge), I am incapable of adequately solving even the simplest (1 star) problems myself. I have a full high school education- in fact, I graduated having done both years of advanced placement mathematics, pre-calc, and physics with honors (90%+ average). I still 'know' the formulae and methods that were 'taught' to me, but I find that, when it actually comes to putting them to use to solve even these recreational problems, I just don't have the capacity.
I would love it if you could share some resources, techniques, ideas, &c. for learning to really put mathematical 'knowledge' into application in the form of problem solving.
Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem solving is a skill that is usually not taught in high school, so you're not alone. I fear that the only solution is to make a lot of problems.

I realize that even the star 1 problems can be hard for somebody not acquainted to problem solving. But I suggest you take out a good book on discrete mathematics and solve its problems. Discrete mathematics doesn't require much prerequisites and can be quite challenging. So I suggest you work through it.

Finally, there are many different disciplines in math. And maybe the kind of problems on the websites are simply not your thing?? Many people hate analysis while others are very good in it. The same thing might be happening here.

Just try to solve many problems, you'll grow good in it!

1) How can I improve my problem-solving skills in mathematics?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills in mathematics is to practice regularly. Choose a variety of problems and try to solve them without looking at the solution. Also, make sure to understand the underlying concepts and techniques used in each problem. Another helpful tip is to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts.

2) What are some effective study strategies for learning mathematics?

Some effective study strategies for learning mathematics include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, practicing consistently, seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed, and actively engaging with the material by asking questions and participating in class discussions. It can also be helpful to use mnemonic devices or create visual aids to aid in memorization.

3) How can I overcome math anxiety?

Math anxiety is a common issue that can hinder one's ability to learn and apply mathematics. One way to overcome math anxiety is to identify and challenge negative thoughts and beliefs about math. It can also be helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to practice regularly to build confidence. Seeking support from a teacher or tutor can also be beneficial.

4) What real-world applications can I use to practice applying mathematics?

There are many real-world applications of mathematics that can be used to practice applying mathematical concepts. Some examples include budgeting and financial planning, cooking and baking using measurement and conversion skills, and using geometry to create and design art or structures. Additionally, many industries and careers use math daily, such as engineering, finance, and computer science.

5) How can I develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts?

To develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include asking questions, working through examples and practice problems, and explaining concepts to others. It can also be helpful to make connections between different mathematical topics and to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or educational videos.