How do beliefs shape our reality?

• Thread starter jammieg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the topic of discussion is the power of belief and how it can affect our actions and thoughts. The conversation includes examples of how individuals have used self-hypnosis to improve their memory and skills. There is also a discussion about the relationship between memory and belief, as well as the potential harmful effects of strong beliefs. The conversation ends with a question about the mechanism behind the placebo effect and hypnosis.
jammieg
How powerful is the power of belief? I don't mean just religious belief, I just mean like if we can see it we can achieve it kind of thinking. What strikes me about this method is that I typically would forget to do routine things at certain times, until one day I simple imagined myself remembering to do that particular thing at that time, it only takes 5 to 10 seconds to "implant" a memory that is assosciation sparked and very easy to do, no elaborate words or methods just see what you want to do and when the time comes I find myself much more likely to remeber doing it.
Does anyone have other real examples or a particular understanding of how this sort of hypnosis or believing power works?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by jammieg
How powerful is the power of belief? I don't mean just religious belief, I just mean like if we can see it we can achieve it kind of thinking. What strikes me about this method is that I typically would forget to do routine things at certain times, until one day I simple imagined myself remembering to do that particular thing at that time, it only takes 5 to 10 seconds to "implant" a memory that is assosciation sparked and very easy to do, no elaborate words or methods just see what you want to do and when the time comes I find myself much more likely to remeber doing it.
Does anyone have other real examples or a particular understanding of how this sort of hypnosis or believing power works?
Sounds like you're just laying a pathway down inside your brain, and training it to use it.

Memory and belief are two different things.

Originally posted by Turtle

Very true, though maybe more related than you think. After all, that which one believes is that which one has remembered with favor.

Originally posted by Turtle
And yet the idea of self-hypnosis, as jammieg was inquiring about, has to do with "embedding" the idea in one's memory. Or, at least this is what I'm suggesting it does.

Last edited:
How powerful is the power of belief? I don't mean just religious belief, I just mean like if we can see it we can achieve it kind of thinking.

well, i think your asking two sort of different questions. I think what a person believes is really important. if a person is really adamnet about their beliefs, they'll do a lot to defend them. In dogma, one of my favorite lines is after chris rock, the 13th apostle, asks bethany if she believes, she just repsonds with "no, but i have a good idea." this is because through the whole movie, chris has been saying how human beliefs have dissorted god and religion and caused a lot of problems.

as for the second thing, the implanting things in your mind. well, I'm sort of an expert i think. I've never known how to describe it, but it's why i seem to be a natural at everything. i learned to ski in a day just by thinking about it. a learned how to through a softball over night by practicing in my mind. if i can envision myself doing whatever action, then i can do it phyiscally too. i used to even excerise in my mind and stretch. it wasn't as good as physical exercise, but i learned to target certain muscle groups and was able to flex them as if i were lifting or something. it's how i learn too. i sort of just put memories in my mind and set them up with certain triggers. I'm really good at cramming, because the way i do it, allows me to retain everything. I've been doing this stuff since i was young, so i don't know if it's weird or anything. it may be sort of the extreme of what you're talking about, but I'm pretty sure its the same general idea.

I used to play chess until it started giving me headaches and I switched to backgammon. Later I discovered that such headaches are common among avid chess players and are a sign that the brain is actually growing new neurons dedicated to the task.

Belief can trigger allergic responses, weaken our immune system, and literally kill. Belief even has the power to alter our entire physiology permanently on a cellular level in the case of some psychologically triggered diseases. Very powerful indeed.

Exactly how it works is still a mystery, but the studies done so far imply a complex picture rather than a simple explanation. For example, the subconscious mind appears to often see through the beliefs of the conscious mind. In tests using rigged decks of cards, consciously people believed the cards were randomly mixed, but their subconscious minds appeared to see through the ruse. Similarly, the two can hold opposing beliefs. For example, consciously we may believe we are not racially biased while subconsciously we are.

jammieg ang Gale:
This is sort of what Psychocybernetics claims. Sitting down and visualising yourself doing something (that you are normally not good at or have a fear of) will reprogram your brain in such a way as allow you to get good at it.

wuliheron:
What studies are you referring to? Could you throw me a link or any names, I would like to learn more about that. thanks

That's actually a whole slew of different studies, both neurological and psychological. The racism study was a recent one done online with over a hundred thousand participants, so it should be easy to locate. The studies related to people subconsciously seeing what the conscious mind holds false beliefs about is also related to a variety of studies being done currently. I recommend the New Scientist website for more information.

That's interesting everyone thanks, another thing I was thinking the other day is how does the placebo effect work, and then the very obvious struck me is that it is the externally aided form of imagination, like when people think a new car will make them happy, except with imagination you need only believe in yourself and use it and it can do whatever placebos can do over a lifetime, does that sound like a meaningful theory?
I don't doubt it Gale, after just a bit of practice I'm about 3 times more likely now to remember all these little things to do or else I've convinced myself not to try and remember the things I forgot... haven't tried it with sports though.

Beliefs

I believe that beliefs are the single most powerful tool for manipulating reality.

no matter what you examine within the human experience, it all ends up being dependent on a belief.

suppose that emotions are triggered by chemical stimulants. what triggers the chem release? we are watching a football game, we believe that our team deserves to win. the offical of the game calls a foul or penalty, we are sad &/or angry. why? chemicals.

our team scores, we are elated. why? chemicals.

what makes the different chemicals release? i can only find belief, as the underlying motivator.

placebo, witch doctor, power of positive thinking and POWER of fear, etc. all demonstrate that what you believe is what you get. this is a fundamental view. unfortunately, we can hold opposing beliefs (which, in my opine, cause illnesses, etc) that complicate many issues.

"I believe that by doing a particular task for my lover, friend, employer, etc i will be rewarded. BUT! beneath that is the fact that you do not feel(believe) you are worthy." IMHO, this makes a chaotic reality that is unmaageable until the person examines and resolves the inner conflict.

love & peace,
olde drunk

What is the power of belief?

The power of belief refers to the idea that our thoughts and beliefs have a strong influence on our actions, behaviors, and outcomes in life. It suggests that by believing in something strongly enough, we can manifest or create that reality in our lives.

How does belief affect our lives?

Beliefs can have a profound impact on our lives as they influence our thoughts, emotions, and actions. If we have positive beliefs, we are more likely to have a positive outlook and take actions that align with those beliefs, leading to positive outcomes. On the other hand, negative beliefs can limit our potential and hold us back from achieving our goals.

Can beliefs be changed?

Yes, beliefs can be changed. While some beliefs may be deeply ingrained, they are not set in stone. With awareness and intentional effort, we can challenge and change our beliefs to align with our goals and values. This can lead to personal growth and development.

What role does science play in understanding the power of belief?

Science plays a significant role in understanding the power of belief. Through research and studies, scientists have been able to uncover the mechanisms behind how beliefs influence our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. This information can help us better understand and utilize the power of belief in our lives.

How can we harness the power of belief to improve our lives?

We can harness the power of belief by cultivating positive and empowering beliefs, practicing self-awareness, and challenging and reframing limiting beliefs. Additionally, techniques such as visualization and positive affirmations can help reinforce our beliefs and align our thoughts and actions towards our goals.