Deflection of a object due to magnetic field

In summary, an object with a mass of 3.8g and a net charge of (8.1x10^-9)C moves at a velocity of 180m/s perpendicular to a magnetic field of (5x10^-5)T. After traveling 1.0 km, the object will be deflected from its path by a distance of approximately 2.96 x 10^-7, assuming a very small angle of deflection. This result may seem unusual as the deflection is smaller than the wavelength of visible light and cannot be seen directly. However, this is due to the given values in the problem and not a flaw in the logic. It is suggested to double check the given figures as they
joej
an object of 3.8g moves @ 180m/s perpendicular to a magnetic field of (5x10^-5)T

the object possesses a net charge of (8.1x10^-9)C

by what distance will it be deflected from its pathe due to the magnetic field after it has traveled 1.0 km

so I'm guessing I'll have to find out the radius of the curvature here, so...

F = ma

a = v^2/r

qvB = (mv^2)/r

r = (mv)/(qB)

r = (1.69x10^12)m

and... yeah... where do I go from there... or do I have to do something different?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are u sure this is the original text of the problem,with these figures??I mean the curvature radius is larger than the mean distance Earth-Sun,the deflectio will be almost zero.

Daniel.

yeah I'm pretty sure... just double check it now again...

m = 3.8 g
B = 5 x 10 ^ -5 T
q = 8.1 x 10 ^ -9 C
distance traveled = 1.0 km

I'll let u do the calculations numerically,i'll simply provide the formulas.call the distance of 1Km by d,the curvature radius by "R" and the angle subtented by 'd' [itex] \theta[/itex]
[tex] d=R\theta [/tex] (1)
[tex] deflection=R-R\cos\theta [/tex] (2)

Since the angle is vanishingly small,u may use that,for very,very small arguments
[tex] \cos\theta\sim 1-\frac{\theta^{2}}{2} [/tex] (3)

Daniel.

okay so what I get is...

angle = 0.000000000592

so I use equation 3 and I get

cos(angle) = 0.999999999999999999824768

R - R(0.999999999999999999824768) =

1690000000000 - 1690000000000(0.999999999999999999824768) = 0.00000029614208

so... 2.96 x 10 ^ -7

does that seem about right?

The logics is flawless.For such a weird result (deflection of a straight line of a macroscopic object which smaller than the wavelegth of visible light (therefore it cannot be seen directly)),blame the idiot that made the proble up.Hopefully it's not someone u know... :tongue2:

Daniel.

1. What causes an object to deflect in a magnetic field?

The deflection of an object in a magnetic field is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the charged particles within the object. This interaction creates a force that causes the object to move and deflect.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the deflection of an object?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the amount of deflection an object will experience. A stronger magnetic field will exert a greater force on the charged particles in the object, resulting in a larger deflection.

3. Is there a relationship between the velocity of an object and its deflection in a magnetic field?

Yes, the velocity of an object also plays a role in its deflection in a magnetic field. The faster an object is moving, the greater the force of the magnetic field will be on the charged particles, resulting in a larger deflection.

4. Can the direction of an object's deflection be changed by altering the direction of the magnetic field?

Yes, the direction of an object's deflection can be changed by altering the direction of the magnetic field. The force of the magnetic field on the charged particles will always act perpendicular to the direction of the field, causing the object to deflect in a different direction.

5. How can the deflection of an object in a magnetic field be calculated?

The deflection of an object in a magnetic field can be calculated using the formula F=qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particles in the object, v is the velocity of the object, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the object's motion.