Problem 19.1 Peskin: Find Harmonic Oscillator Solution

• Thread starter JCCJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peskin
In summary, a student is having trouble with problem 19.1 from the Peskin QFT book. They are trying to solve an equation involving a constant and a function that depends on time, but when they use the given formula from the book, they do not get a harmonic oscillator as expected. They are asking for help on what could be wrong. The problem is not accessible to everyone, and the solution involves finding a harmonic oscillator at every value of x^1, with the frequency depending on that coordinate.
JCCJ
Hi,
I'm trying to do this problem (19.1 from Peskin) that apparently should be quite straightforward but when I plug the anzat given at c) into the equation I don't get an harmonic oscillator as the book indicates. Could please anyone tell me what is wrong?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a first - not only does the student not type the answer, he doesn't even type the question!

I think the question/problem is quite clear: The problem 19.1 from the peskin QFT book. I give as a fact that anyone in the high energy physics section has acces to this book to refer to the problem.
Anyway the problem is the following:
given the equation [tex] -i \sigma \cdot D \psi_R=0, [/tex] where [tex]A^{\mu}=(0,0,B x^1, A) [/tex] with [tex] B [/tex] a constant and [tex]A[/tex] depends only adiabatically in time.
Now when I put the anzat given by the book [tex]\psi_R=\left(\begin{array}{c}\phi_1(x^1)\\ \phi_2(x^1)\end{array}\right)e^{i(k_2x^2+k_3 x^3)}[/tex] and eliminate one of the [tex] \phi [/tex] I'm supossed to get an harmonic oscillator eqn. How? I get an eqn of the form [tex] \phi_i ''(x^1)+\omega^2(x^1) \phi_i(x^1)=0 [/tex] with an explicit dependence of [tex]\omega[/tex] in [tex]x[/tex].

Not everyone is within arm's reach of Peskin. I don't even own a copy.

You get a harmonic oscillator at every ##x^1##, where the frequency depends on that coordinate.

By the way: with [itex]-tags, you don't get new lines for every symbol.

1. What is the "Problem 19.1 Peskin" and why is it significant in the field of science?

"Problem 19.1 Peskin" refers to a specific problem in the book "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael Peskin. It is significant because it is a fundamental problem that helps scientists understand the concept of the harmonic oscillator, which is an important model in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, and statistical mechanics.

2. What is the harmonic oscillator and how does it relate to "Problem 19.1 Peskin"?

The harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion around a stable equilibrium point. It can be described mathematically using a differential equation, which is the focus of "Problem 19.1 Peskin." In this problem, the harmonic oscillator solution is found using quantum field theory techniques, providing a deeper understanding of the system.

3. What are some real-world applications of the harmonic oscillator?

The harmonic oscillator has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology. It is used to model systems such as pendulums, springs, and molecular vibrations. It also plays a crucial role in the design of electronic circuits and in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. How is "Problem 19.1 Peskin" solved?

"Problem 19.1 Peskin" is solved using mathematical techniques from quantum field theory, specifically the creation and annihilation operator formalism. The solution involves finding the energy eigenvalues and eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator Hamiltonian operator.

5. What are the potential future research directions related to "Problem 19.1 Peskin"?

Scientists may continue to explore and expand upon the solution to "Problem 19.1 Peskin" in various ways. This may include applying the techniques to more complex systems, studying the effects of different potential functions on the harmonic oscillator, or using the solution to analyze and understand other physical phenomena.