Which Calculator is Right for Me?

In summary, for a high school student planning to major in computer sciences and become a programmer, the best option for a calculator would be the TI-89. While the TI-83/84 may not have all the necessary functions for advanced programming, the TI-Nspire is limited due to anti-cheating measures and HP calculators have a different programming style. However, the HP Prime may be a comparable option to the TI-Nspire for advanced programming.
Calculator3000
I need a new calculator for Highschool. I am looking at either the TI-84 Plus Color Silver Edition, TI-89 Titanium or the TI-Nspire CX CAS. I plane to major in computer sciences and become a programmer so I am looking for a calculator that is good for programming. Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
A Ti graphing calculator (don't know the number, sorry) should suit you fine for high school, and I believe you can program stuff for them as well.

Calculator3000 said:
I need a new calculator for Highschool. I am looking at either the TI-84 Plus Color Silver Edition, TI-89 Titanium or the TI-Nspire CX CAS. I plane to major in computer sciences and become a programmer so I am looking for a calculator that is good for programming. Thank you.

Have you considered an HP RPN calculator like HP48G+ or similar, why just TI? You'll find that RPN is more intuitive to use. I assume TI allows either mode of operation algebraic or RPN?

Side note here... don't focus on being a programmer. Programmers are people that do the tasks for the Software Architect. Here read this article.
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/39284/whats-the-difference-between-a-software-architect-a-software-engineer-and-a-so

pullmanwa said:
Have you considered an HP RPN calculator like HP48G+ or similar, why just TI? You'll find that RPN is more intuitive to use. I assume TI allows either mode of operation algebraic or RPN?

Side note here... don't focus on being a programmer. Programmers are people that do the tasks for the Software Architect. Here read this article.
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/39284/whats-the-difference-between-a-software-architect-a-software-engineer-and-a-so

What is the difference between HP and TI and what is RPN?

Calculator3000 said:
What is the difference between HP and TI and what is RPN?

RPN = reverse polish notation

HP is the Gold Standard when it comes to calculators, TI is not.

Got your first lesson in computer science: RPN v. algebraic

pullmanwa said:
RPN = reverse polish notation

HP is the Gold Standard when it comes to calculators, TI is not.
But why is HP better?

pullmanwa said:

So I should focus on Software Arcitect more than Programming? Why is it better?

Buy the Ti-89. The Ti-83/84 does not deal with logic operators or have HEX, Dec, BIN conversions built in. The Ti nspire is locked down and not available for advanced programming to avoid programs that could allow the student to cheat. Hence out of your three options, only the Ti-89 is a viable candidate.

You should probably avoid Hp as its programming is quite different than anything you have seen and not used by anyone but Hp. However, Hp now offers the new Hp Prime which is NOT RPN (well not out of box anyway). It is comparable the Ti Nspire, but more open.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a calculator?

When choosing a calculator, consider the functions and features that you will need for your specific tasks, such as basic arithmetic, graphing, or statistical calculations. Also consider the size, durability, and battery life of the calculator.

2. Do I need a scientific calculator or a graphing calculator?

This depends on the level of math or science you will be using the calculator for. Scientific calculators are suitable for most high school and college level courses, while graphing calculators are more advanced and useful for higher level math and science courses.

3. Are there specific brands or models that are better than others?

There are a variety of reputable brands and models to choose from, such as Texas Instruments, Casio, and HP. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific features that best fit your needs.

4. Should I purchase a physical calculator or use a calculator app on my phone?

This depends on your personal preference and the rules set by your institution. Some schools or exams may not allow the use of calculator apps on phones, so it is important to check beforehand. Physical calculators may also have more advanced features and be more reliable for important exams.

5. How much should I spend on a calculator?

The price of calculators can vary greatly, from a few dollars to over a hundred dollars. Consider your budget and the features that you need, as more advanced features may come at a higher cost. It is also important to research and read reviews to ensure you are getting a quality calculator for your money.