Integration using a TI-89 produces wrong value?

In summary: So the difference is just the constant log 2.In summary, the person is asking for help with two problems in integrating using their calculator. They are getting different answers and are not sure which one is correct. They are confused about the difference in the answers and are seeking clarification. The expert explains that the difference is just a constant and it doesn't matter in a definite integral. The expert also provides a mathematical explanation for the difference in the answers.
vnaut
Hi Physics Forum,

I've just started taking Diff EQ and have been using my calculator for most integrations. I've come across two problems that I hope have answers.

1) When I try the integral of (x+1) (the quantity! not just x+1), my calculator still spits out (x^2/2)+x while the real answer should be (-(x+1)^2)/2. Is there a way to make my calculator identify (x+1) as the quantity (or is it factor? I forgot the actual term) rather than just x+1?

2) When I integrate 3/(100+2*x) I'm getting 3/2 * ln(x+50). However, I'm 99% sure the answer should be 3/2 * ln(100+2x). What am I/the calculator doing wrong?

Any and all answers are appreciated, thanks so much!

Computer science news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac 3 {100+2x} = \frac 3 {2(50+x)}[/tex]

Borek said:
[tex]\frac 3 {100+2x} = \frac 3 {2(50+x)}[/tex]

This is where I'm confused. Multiple integral tables say that that

the integral of 1/(ax+c) is (1/a) * ln(ax+c). This would yield 3/2 * ln(100+2*x) where as the integral of your answer would yield 3/2 * ln(50+x). So I'm left with two different answers to choose from.

Either 3/2 * ln(100+2*x) or 3/2 * ln(50+x). Very curious =x

In both your examples, the difference in the "answers" is just a constant, so you can think of it as part of the arbitrary constant in an indefinite integral.

If you are going to evaluate a definite integral, the arbitrary constant cancels out so it doesn't matter.

In the first example the difference is the constant 1/2.

In the second example, from the properties of logarithms,
log(100 +2x) = log(2(50 + x)) = log(50+x) + log 2.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your questions. It seems like you may be experiencing some errors with your TI-89 calculator when it comes to integration. I have a few suggestions that may help you troubleshoot and find the correct answers.

Firstly, it is important to make sure that your calculator is set to the correct mode for integration. This can usually be found in the settings or mode menu. You may need to switch between Radian mode and Degree mode, depending on the type of problem you are working on. Double check that you are in the correct mode for the problem you are trying to solve.

Next, when using the TI-89 for integration, it is important to use the correct syntax. For example, to integrate (x+1) you would enter "int(x+1,x)" and for 3/(100+2x) you would enter "int(3/(100+2x),x)". Make sure you are using parentheses correctly and using the correct variables for your problem.

If you are still getting incorrect answers, it may be helpful to double check your work by hand or using another calculator. If the problem persists, you may need to reset your calculator or seek assistance from the manufacturer.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies in Differential Equations!

1. Why is my TI-89 calculator producing incorrect integration values?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One common issue is that you may have entered the function or bounds of integration incorrectly. Make sure to double check your input and use parentheses when necessary. Additionally, the calculator may be using a default setting for the accuracy of the calculation, so you may need to adjust this to get a more precise result.

2. Can a low battery affect the accuracy of the integration on my TI-89?

Yes, a low battery can affect the accuracy of the integration on your TI-89. When the battery is low, the calculator may not have enough power to perform the calculations accurately. It is recommended to replace the battery or use a power adapter for more reliable results.

3. I am getting a "math error" when trying to integrate on my TI-89. What does this mean?

A "math error" on your TI-89 usually indicates that the function you are trying to integrate may not be valid for the calculator's integration algorithm. This could also mean that the function is undefined at a particular point, causing an error in the calculation. Check your function and make sure it is a valid one for integration.

4. How can I troubleshoot integration errors on my TI-89?

First, double check your input for any mistakes. If the input is correct, try adjusting the calculator's settings for accuracy or changing the bounds of integration. If the problem persists, it could be due to a technical issue with the calculator itself, in which case you may need to consult the user manual or contact the manufacturer for further assistance.

5. Is there a way to improve the accuracy of integration on my TI-89?

Yes, there are a few ways to improve the accuracy of integration on your TI-89. One option is to adjust the calculator's settings for accuracy, as mentioned before. You can also use smaller intervals for the bounds of integration or increase the number of decimal places displayed. Additionally, some functions may require a more advanced integration method, so you may need to consult a math resource or use a different calculator for better accuracy.