Is Tennis the Secret to Effortlessly Losing Weight?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weight
In summary: For 5 miles in the city, your bike is almost certainly faster unless it's hilly or your city has very little traffic. The more intersections there are, the faster the bike is relative to a car. When the cars stop you can just continue to one side of them and be first at the light every time. It will not take 30 minutes, probably more like 15 to 20 minutes, and it would take that... plus the added time for traffic.
There's no good excuse not to bike. You have 12 minutes sitting doing nothing but going from place to place, or 20 minutes of workout PLUS you are getting where you want to go.

You know, diabetes... funny. Last year I lost a lot of weight too pretty quickly and I was drinking a hell of a lot of water (like, a gallon a day), but I felt fine and was in good shape (able to run 5 miles) and now I'm gaining it back, still in good shape, and I don't seem to have any limbs or organs falling off. Is it possible to recover from diabetes? Or was I just drinking a lot of water and losing weight with no disease associated.

Biology news on Phys.org
ShawnD said:
Scales tell you nothing about how good you look.
You shouldn't be fighting what the scale says.

My recommendation to use a scale, is as a feedback mechanism. If once a week is too often for you, step on the scale every other week or once a month. Losing weight takes time. Using a scale is an objective measurement of your progess. If you do see yourself gaining, you have immediate feedback that you're off course.

DaveC426913 said:
The human body. Quite simple. Who'da thunk it?
No, it's way more complex than that. You should know better.

Reducing the caloric intake without increasing the metabolic rate will cause the body to think it's undernourished, and it will begin storing extra. You need the exercise to move the body to a higher metabolic equilibrium.

Actually our body does observe the basic laws of physics. Do you know anyone who has gained weight from reducing the amount of food they eat?

On the other hand, I have not discarded complementing reduction of food, with increasing your metabolism. In my own case, kicking up my metabolism just made me more hungry so I ate just as much, with no change in body weight. Since my goal was to lose weight, I needed to concentrate on changing my eating habits first. I continue to exercise to tone the muscles and also for fun, rather than for increasing my metabolism.

Moonbear said:
Yes, this is why I suggested staying away from scales initially. If you have access to a gym or other facility that has the equipment to test body composition (% body fat), that's really helpful. If you start on a good fitness program, you may actually gain weight over time if you start to build up muscles to replace the fat you lost, depending on how overweight one started out. Some people can start out not even truly overweight, but just flabby, and they may really enjoy the change in appearance with some defined muscles building up. I really recommend avoiding scales, mirrors, etc. initially, because the changes aren't going to be that rapid and when you don't see progress, it can be discouraging.

Testing % body fat, keeping a log of your exercise routine or even calculating your BMI (body mass index) all provide good feedback. Any objective method of monitoring your progress can be used. If weighing yourself too often, is distracting to you, you could increase the interval between measurements.

Yes, working out can increase your weight by replacing fat with muscle mass. Muscle is more dense than the same amount of fat (about 22% denser). In fact if your goal is to increase muscle mass, you may want to eat more foods that are higher in protein.

Telos said:
Sorry if I missed someone else saying it already, but the best thing I can add to this thread is to drink more water.

No, really, drink more water! You'll have to go to bathroom a lot, but if you can get over that it's well worth it.

My story is that I lost almost 40 lbs. by drinking water whenever I was hungry during the day, particularly when I desired high calorie/carb foods.

Drinking more water as an aid to reducing calories eaten is fine. Those extra trips to the bathroom after you go to sleep , may be a little annoying :bugeye:

"Diets" generally fail because it's implied that you're only on them until you lose X amount of weight, then you go back to your previous style of eating. A better way to look at it, is a change in your eating habits. This includes the kind of food you eat (replacing high caloric foods with healthier ones), amount of food (reducing your consumption), and when you eat them (eat you biggest meal during daytime when your body is most active). You probably will go though some emotional stress as you adjust to a new style. But be patient. With time, your new system of eating will replace your old and feel quite normal. (It doesn't mean that you will never eat high calorie fun foods again, just that it won't be part of your normal routine). :smile:

Loren Booda said:
My doctor told me that the unrefined sugar of orange juice is much more healthy than the refined sugar of soft drinks. Is there any truth that orange juice can induce diabetes, as DaveC426913 relates, like refined products do? My meds have the possibility of inducing diabetes.

No, sugar doesn't cause diabetes. Diabetics do get cravings for sugar because their body isn't using sugar properly, so this myth originated from the observation of undiagnosed diabetics overconsuming sugar, quickly leading to extremely high blood sugar levels that got them diagnosed.

There are two forms of diabetes:
  • Type I is an insufficient production of insulin, the hormone that regulates blood sugar levels. Type I is also sometimes known as childhood diabetes.
  • Type II is insulin resistance, which means that despite having sufficient insulin present, the body doesn't respond to it properly. This was previously called adult-onset diabetes, and is often hereditary as well as associated with obesity.

Doctor Moonbear grounds us back to reality. She is special that way... difficult, obtuse, and interesting.

Chronos said:
Doctor Moonbear grounds us back to reality. She is special that way... difficult, obtuse, and interesting.
Obtuse -
1. Lacking in insight or discernment
2. Slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity

Are you sure?

ShawnD said:
Chronos said:

Obtuse -
1. Lacking in insight or discernment
2. Slow to learn or understand; lacking intellectual acuity

Are you sure?

Thanks guys. :rolleyes: I notice, Shawn, that you didn't exactly refute the claim, just questioned if Chronos was sure. :grumpy: Chronos, is that special as in rides the short bus special? :uhh:

Moonbear said:
Thanks guys. :rolleyes: I notice, Shawn, that you didn't exactly refute the claim, just questioned if Chronos was sure. :grumpy: Chronos, is that special as in rides the short bus special? :uhh:

http://myfiles.dyndns.org:8080/macros/INTERNET_COMMUNITY.jpg

Happy now? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
ShawnD said:
http://myfiles.dyndns.org:8080/macros/INTERNET_COMMUNITY.jpg

Happy now? :smile:

:rofl: So that's what Eric Estrada is up to these days. :rofl: :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I need the best way to gain weight :biggrin: