Rutherford scattering using MatLab

In summary, the conversation is about a program being developed to simulate the angle distribution of scattered particles from a gold nucleus. The individual is uncertain about the accuracy of the results and is seeking input from others. They are also unsure whether to vary both initial speed and impact parameter in one program or write two separate programs. Currently, only the initial speed is being varied in the program. The code for the program is also provided. The individual welcomes any suggestions or ideas.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm writing a program for simulating the angle distribution of scattered particles from a gold nucleus but I doubt the results. I don't know...But it would be very good if someone check it and give some hints.
I also want to ask should I vary both initial speed and impact parameter in one program or I should write two different programs?
In this program I only vary the initial speed.
Here's the code:
Code:
clear
clc

m=4*1.67*10^(-27);
e=1.6*10^(-19);
q=2*e;
Q=79*e;
k=8.9875518*(10^9);

dt=.01;
t=[0:dt:20];
n=length(t);

da=5;
alpha=[0:da:360];
m=length(alpha);

flags=zeros(m);

y(1)=1;
x(1)=-100;
vy(1)=0;

for v0=0:100

vx(1)=v0;

for i=2:n-1

x(i)=x(i-1)+vx(i-1)*dt;
		y(i)=y(i-1)+vy(i-1)*dt;

rcs=(x(i-1)^2+y(i-1)^2)^(3/2);

vx(i)=vx(i-1)+((k*q*Q*x(i-1))/(m*rcs))*dt;
		vy(i)=vy(i-1)+((k*q*Q*y(i-1))/(m*rcs))*dt;

end

temp=atan(y(n-1)/x(n-1));

if(temp<0)

temp=temp+2*Pi;

end

theta=temp;

for j=1:m

if (theta==alpha(j) | (theta>(alpha(j)-da) & theta<(alpha(j)+da)))

flags(j)=flags(j)+1;

end

end

end

plot(flags,'o')
hold on
grid on

Any idea is welcome
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

1. What is Rutherford scattering and how is it related to MatLab?

Rutherford scattering is a phenomenon in which alpha particles are scattered by a target material. It is related to MatLab because MatLab can be used to simulate and analyze this type of scattering experiment.

2. How can I perform Rutherford scattering simulations using MatLab?

To perform Rutherford scattering simulations using MatLab, you can use the built-in functions and algorithms for particle simulations and collision detection. You can also write your own code to customize the simulation based on your specific experiment.

3. What are some key parameters and variables involved in Rutherford scattering simulations?

Some key parameters and variables involved in Rutherford scattering simulations include the initial velocity and position of the alpha particles, the target material's atomic number and mass, the distance between the alpha particle source and the target, and the angle of deflection of the scattered particles.

4. How can I analyze and interpret the results of a Rutherford scattering simulation using MatLab?

To analyze and interpret the results of a Rutherford scattering simulation using MatLab, you can use various plotting and data analysis functions. These can help you visualize the trajectories of the alpha particles, calculate the scattering cross section, and compare the results with theoretical predictions.

5. Are there any limitations or considerations to keep in mind when using MatLab for Rutherford scattering simulations?

Yes, there are a few limitations and considerations to keep in mind when using MatLab for Rutherford scattering simulations. These include the accuracy and precision of the simulation, the computational resources required, and the complexity of the simulation setup. It is also important to validate the results with experimental data to ensure the simulation accurately reflects real-world scenarios.