Research Topics for High School Physics Enthusiasts

In summary, a high school junior studying physics can explore many research topics by using their knowledge and experience from books, self-taught learning, and computer simulations.
Gau
I was wondering if there were any research topics that I, as a rising high school junior could explore in physics. I am extremely interested in physics, and self taught myself AP Physics C, followed by reading the Feynman Lectures on Physics and Theoretical Physics by Georg Joos. I also taught myself some math along the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pick something and start working?

I studied how to build computer models of physical systems in high school. Find something interesting, work on it. What does it matter what other people think are good fields?

Edit: I dislike Joos's book. It covers all the material fine, i just don't like the presentation. Of course, I still like it much better than Bohm's book on quantum theory. That one drives me insane.

hey kid, as a high school junior you are ahead of me as a 623 year old professional mathematician (actually i meant 62 year old). i have never completed feynmans physics. the world is your oyster. have faith in your ideas, and try something interesting.

think back through what you have learned and ask yourself if they seemed to stop short on some of the topics, without pushing it to its limits. remember those little pesky questions that arose in your mind when you were reading a topic. you probably pushed them aside because you thouhgt that whatever was not stressed by the book was not interesting, but really maybe it was only not understood well.

so give one of those questions a whirl.

good luck. you are very smart. now get loose. you are going to have a long fun ride.

I studied how to build computer models of physical systems in high school.

Did you use any particular book?

There must be one model only for different computers, if i am not mistaken !

jai6638 said:
Did you use any particular book?

Its not the sort of thing you can learn from a book, IMO. It takes practice, you have to be able to design algorithms, its not the sort of thing you can read about.

I studied physics from books, Calkin's Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics in particular. Joos's book on Theoretical physics.

The rest was mostly self-taught. Once i got to the university, i took some programming classes, but those didn't focus on building computer models of systems, I only took them to get more practice in the actual programming part. You can only learn how to build models by doing it really, its not something you can read in a book to learn.

AlexlovesChris said:
There must be one model only for different computers, if i am not mistaken !

Huh?

*10char*

If your looking to do computer simulations
Landau - Computational Physics,
Someguy - Numerical recipes in C/C++/Fortran
Chris Hecker - 3D physics sims notes.
mmmm Computational Astrophysics is something you might look at if your in astronomy.

I suggest emailing a nearby notable university's professor and askign to speak to them for guidance.

1. What are some interesting research topics for high school students interested in physics?

There are many interesting research topics for high school students interested in physics, such as investigating the properties of different types of magnets, exploring the principles of electricity and magnetism, or studying the behavior of light and optics. Other potential topics include analyzing the effects of gravity on different objects, researching the physics behind roller coasters, or examining the principles of motion and force.

2. How can I come up with a unique research topic in physics?

One way to come up with a unique research topic in physics is to think about current events or real-world problems that can be studied using physics principles. For example, you could explore the physics of renewable energy sources, investigate the physics behind natural disasters, or analyze the physics of space travel. You could also consider combining physics with other subjects, such as biology or chemistry, to create a unique research topic.

3. What are some resources for finding research topics in physics?

There are many resources available for finding research topics in physics. Some options include browsing scientific journals and publications, attending science fairs or conferences, talking to physics teachers or professors, and searching online databases for current research in the field. You can also find inspiration by reading books or watching documentaries about physics.

4. How can I ensure that my research topic is feasible for a high school student?

To ensure that your research topic is feasible for a high school student, it's important to consider the time, resources, and equipment that you have available. You may also want to discuss your topic with a physics teacher or mentor to get their input and make sure that your research is appropriate for your skill level. Additionally, choosing a topic that aligns with your interests and strengths can help make your research more manageable and enjoyable.

5. Can I conduct experiments for my research topic at home?

Yes, there are many experiments that can be conducted at home for a research topic in physics. However, it's important to consider safety precautions and make sure that you have the necessary materials and equipment. If you're unsure about the safety or feasibility of an experiment, it's always a good idea to consult with a teacher or mentor. You can also find many online resources and tutorials for conducting experiments at home in a safe and effective manner.