Physics vs. Engineering: Understanding the Differences in Study and Mentality

In summary, the main difference between studying physics and engineering is the focus and practical applications. While a physics major may have courses in various engineering disciplines, an engineering degree is a professional degree with a higher starting salary. Engineering physics is a program that combines both fields, and can lead to careers in research or engineering. It is recommended to choose one field that is most important and pursue it through bachelors, masters, and PhD for more flexibility in career options.
quasi426
Can anyone tell me the main difference between a person who studies physics and one who decides to study engineering. Anything is helpful, but in particular I'm interested in the mentalitiy, the level/type of math that is most helpful, etc. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
depends on the engineering...
maybe if your interested in both you can study engineering physics...or a joint major
engineering physics &physics. I had quite a few friends in the engphys programm at mcmaster but I'm not really sure what they studied...a bit of optics/communications/quantum/biology(i found the last one funny). their year and thesis was to build small cars to race down hallways which was cool...one of my buddies is leading towards research in mems/nano.

engphysics huh...? That sounds like something I'd want to do. I've been torn between Eng and Phys ever since I built a coil gun last quarter... Doing both would be Heaven! :D

PL

My advise has changed since last time I posted here: don't waste your time on a dual degree/major.

Pick one thing that is dear the most to you and go through bachelors and masters and phd with it. A PhD in any field will give you a flexibility to apply yourself to vast number of similar fields, and I would recommend that.

A Physics major over EE major will have intro courses from all engineering disciplines and might also include a few grad courses in theoretical areas that arent in any engineering degrees. On the other hand, an engineering degree is a professional degree that will allow you to have a lucrative starting salary as well as other benefits that are mostly applicable to engineers. Sure you can get into engineering with a BS in Physics, but starting salary won't be that of an engineer with a BS. You might start at 30-35k/year and work for a few years before you'll be promoted to an engineer - and even then you can't practice without a PE license.

So pick which one is really important to you, and stick with it. Get the basics out of the way as soon as possible and go for advanced stuff

Nobody said anything about dual degree's. Engineering physics is one (1) degree that apparently combines both, but I'm not 100% sure on this. I need to know more. It sounds really interesting.

PL

Poop: look at mcmaster's engineering physics programme if you need more info.

1. What is the main difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the universe, while engineering is the application of these laws and principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can someone with a physics degree become an engineer?

Yes, someone with a physics degree can pursue a career in engineering. However, they may need to take additional courses or gain practical experience in engineering principles to be qualified for certain engineering jobs.

3. Which field has more job opportunities, physics or engineering?

Both physics and engineering offer a wide range of job opportunities. However, engineering tends to have more job opportunities as it is a more practical and applied field.

4. How do the problem-solving approaches differ between physics and engineering?

In physics, the focus is on understanding and solving complex theoretical problems using mathematical and scientific principles. In engineering, the focus is on applying these principles to practical problems and finding solutions that are feasible and cost-effective.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in physics to become an engineer?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in physics to become an engineer. However, a basic understanding of physics principles is essential for understanding the foundations of engineering and its applications.