When is the deadline for my degree completion if I started in Fall 2003?

In summary, the approved program of study must be completed within a period of not more than six consecutive calendar years, which includes the last few months of 2003 as a full calendar year. This means that if you started in Fall 2003, you must finish by Fall 2009. It is best to confirm with your university's graduation or registrar's office for a specific timeline. It is possible that the six calendar years mentioned may refer to 12 semesters, giving you a total of 72 months to complete the degree.
haynewp
Below is the statement from my school regarding time of degree completion. If I started in the Fall of 2003, when must I finish? Do the last few months of 2003 (which was my first semester) actually count as a full calendar year against me?

"The approved program of study must be completed within a period of not more than six consecutive calendar years."

Physics news on Phys.org
fall 2003 + 6 years = fall 2009

Meaning you must finish by fall 2009, i figure. The last few months of 2003 are considered as part of full calendar year which is included in the 6 year total. IMHO

this question can best be answered by your university graduation office or registrars office.
i.e. first answer: whatwever they say.

second answer: whatever you can pluasibly argue in a court of law based on what they wrote.

ktpr2 said:
fall 2003 + 6 years = fall 2009

Meaning you must finish by fall 2009, i figure. The last few months of 2003 are considered as part of full calendar year which is included in the 6 year total. IMHO

I tihnk its more likley that when they say 6 calendar years they mean 12 semesters. So you'd have to graduate by the end of the spring semester of 2009. That way, 6 calendar years after first enrollment, you'd be graduated.

Per Merriam Webster

Calendar Year:
1 : a period of a year beginning and ending with the dates that are conventionally accepted as marking the beginning and end of a numbered year
2 : a period of time equal in length to that of the year in the calendar conventionally in use

I would think that by #2, I should have 72 months to complete the degree.

1. How long does it typically take to graduate with a degree?

The length of time it takes to graduate with a degree can vary depending on several factors, such as the type of degree, the number of credits required, and the pace at which the student takes classes. On average, a bachelor's degree takes four years to complete, while a master's degree takes two years and a doctoral degree can take anywhere from 3-7 years.

2. Can I graduate early?

Yes, it is possible to graduate early with a degree. This can be achieved by taking a heavier course load, completing summer classes, or transferring in credits from previous coursework. However, it is important to note that graduating early may also require sacrificing other opportunities such as internships or studying abroad.

3. What happens if I don't graduate on time?

If you are unable to graduate on time due to unforeseen circumstances, you may need to take additional courses or extend your graduation date. It is important to communicate with your academic advisor and make a plan to ensure you meet all graduation requirements.

4. Can I still graduate if I have not completed all of my required courses?

Typically, in order to graduate, all required courses must be completed. If you are unable to complete a required course for any reason, you may need to take it at a later time or find an alternative course that fulfills the same requirement. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to discuss your options.

5. How do I know if I am eligible to graduate?

In order to be eligible to graduate, you must meet all of the academic and administrative requirements set by your institution. These requirements may include completing a certain number of credits, maintaining a minimum GPA, and fulfilling all major and general education requirements. It is important to regularly check in with your academic advisor to ensure you are on track to meet all graduation requirements.