Determinants and Matrix Inverses Proofs

In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving matrices. The first problem involves showing that either A or B has no inverse when AB = -BA and n is odd, while the second problem involves showing that A is not invertible when A^k = 0 for some k >= 1. The conversation provides helpful tips and strategies for solving these problems, such as using the properties of determinants and using contradiction. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with a clear understanding of how to approach and solve these types of problems.
KataKoniK
Can anyone help me start this out? I got absolutely no clue.

Q: If A and B are n x n matrices, AB = -BA, and n is odd, show that either A or B has no inverse.

I know that we have to show that either det A is 0 or det B is 0, but I have no clue how to show it with the given information.

Q: If A^k = 0 for some k >= 1, show that A is not invertible.

Again, same problem. Any help would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
1: You're right. You got to show that either detA =0 or detB=0. Take the determinant of both sides of the equation and "simplify" using the properties of the determinant to obtain the desired conclusion.

2: This one's even easier. Use the same trick.

The second problem can be done without determinants (using contradiction) as well.

Thanks for the responses, so is this correc then? I tried it, but I am stuck.

Q: If A and B are n x n matrices, AB = -BA, and n is odd, show that either A or B has no inverse.

det(AB) = det(-BA)
detA detB = det(-B) detA
detA detB = (-1)^n detB detA
1 = -(1)^n

Is this correct? Because since we know n is odd, that means 1 will never equal -1. Is this proof good enough to say that A or B has no inverse? I seriously do not know how to show that either detA or detB is 0.

Q: If A^k = 0 for some k >= 1, show that A is not invertible.

det(A^k)
= (detA)^k

What to do next? Muzza, how would you do this using contradiction?

det(AB) = det(-BA)
detA detB = det(-B) detA
1 = -(1)^n

You've divided by det(A)det(B), which you can't do, since det(A)det(B) might be 0 (and it is 0).

Instead, notice that (-1)^n = -1, since n was odd. Thus det(A)det(B) = -det(A)det(B).

What to do next? Muzza, how would you do this using contradiction?

The product of finitely many invertible matrices is invertible. So if A was invertible, then A^k would also be invertible.

Last edited:
KataKoniK said:
det(AB) = det(-BA)
detA detB = det(-B) detA
1 = -(1)^n

Instead of jumping to the conclusion 1 = -1, what you should have done is ask yourself, when is the equation detA detB = -detB detA satisfied? Only when detA detB = 0 iff detA = 0 or detB = 0 (or both).

Instead, what you did is you mechanically continued your arithmetics, and divided both sides by detA detB, assuming neither detA and detB was 0...which of course led to the contradiction 1 = -1.

KataKoniK said:
det(A^k)
= (detA)^k

What to do next?

You're missing the main idea of the proof; the tactic, if you will. The tactic is that you start with an matrix equation that you know to be true. Then taking the determinant of both sides is still a true equation. From there, simplify using determinant properties until you find the desired result. So what you should have done here is

A^k = 0
det(A^k) = det0
(detA)^k = 0 iff detA = 0.

Thanks a bunch guys. It's all clear now.

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a numerical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It is used to determine various properties of the matrix, such as its invertibility and the solutions to systems of linear equations.

2. How do you find the determinant of a matrix?

To find the determinant of a matrix, you can use various methods such as the cofactor expansion method or the row reduction method. The specific method used will depend on the size and complexity of the matrix.

3. What is a matrix inverse?

A matrix inverse is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is denoted by A-1 and is used to solve equations involving matrices.

4. How do you prove that a matrix has an inverse?

To prove that a matrix has an inverse, you can use various methods such as showing that the determinant of the matrix is non-zero or that the matrix satisfies certain properties, such as being row equivalent to the identity matrix.

5. Why are determinants and matrix inverses important?

Determinants and matrix inverses are important because they are essential tools in linear algebra, used to solve equations and perform operations on matrices. They also have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.