Planet dissolving dust cloud headed for earth

In summary, the conversation includes a person who is new to physics and astronomy, a source from a satirical tabloid, and a debunking thread. The source is intended as a joke and there is a discussion about working as a writer for the tabloid. Someone also mentions needing dust masks.
phusicist
Hello everyone, I'm a physics/astronomy noob, actually I don’t even begin my curricula till later this 2006.Yes, the credibility of this source is well umm… it’s a tabloid! But my friend who studies astronomy sent me this and this is the debunking thread afterall. :biggrin:

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/science/61501

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Weekly World News is a satirical tabloid. The news is intended as a joke.

I want to work as a writer for the Weekly World News.

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on some dust masks?

I don't even want to go there. I'd have people jumping out of office windows...

What is a "planet dissolving dust cloud"?

A planet dissolving dust cloud is a large cloud of dust particles that is headed towards Earth. It is called a "planet dissolving" cloud because the dust particles can potentially cause significant damage to the planet's surface and atmosphere.

Where did this dust cloud come from?

The origin of this dust cloud is currently unknown. It could be a result of a natural phenomenon such as a comet or asteroid impact, or it could be a man-made debris cloud from space activities.

How big is the dust cloud and how fast is it moving?

The size and speed of the dust cloud can vary greatly depending on its composition and origin. It could range from a small cloud with a diameter of a few kilometers to a massive cloud spanning thousands of kilometers. The speed of the cloud can also vary, but it is likely to be moving at a high velocity due to the force of gravity.

What are the potential effects of this dust cloud on Earth?

The effects of this dust cloud on Earth could range from minor atmospheric disturbances to major environmental and climatic impacts. The dust particles in the cloud could block out sunlight, causing a decrease in temperature and disrupting ecosystems. They could also cause damage to infrastructure and affect human health if inhaled.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent or mitigate the effects of this dust cloud?

As scientists, we are constantly monitoring potential threats to Earth and looking for ways to mitigate their effects. In the case of a planet dissolving dust cloud, we would first need to gather more information about its composition and trajectory to determine the best course of action. It is also important for governments and space agencies to work together to prevent and reduce the amount of debris in space to avoid similar events in the future.