How to convert km/h to m/s squared

• Thread starter mike98020205
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, to convert km/h to m/s squared, you can use the formula (Speed in km/h * 1000)/3600. Km/h is a unit of speed and m/s squared is a unit of acceleration, related by the conversion factor of 1000/3600. Yes, there are online converters available for this conversion, but it is important to double check the results for accuracy. Converting from km/h to m/s squared is important in understanding an object's acceleration and allows for comparison between objects with different speeds. Remembering the conversion can be done by shifting the decimal point three places to the left or by knowing that 1 km/h is equivalent to 0.2778 m/s.
mike98020205
I guess I'm confused on how to convert km/h to m/s squared.

I understand 1min/60s=360s/1 hr but this seems different. the seconds squared ared throwing me off. I know there's a 1000 meters in a kilometer and 360 seconds in an hour. I guess I don't know how to apply these numbers. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
1hr = 3600s

The seconds aren't squared

[tex]
\frac{km}{hr}*\frac{hr}{3600s}*\frac{1000m}{1km}=\frac{m}{s}
[/tex]

Ty so much.

1. How do I convert km/h to m/s squared?

To convert km/h to m/s squared, you can use the following formula:
Acceleration (m/s squared) = (Speed in km/h * 1000)/3600

2. What is the relationship between km/h and m/s squared?

Km/h is a unit of speed, while m/s squared is a unit of acceleration. They are related by the conversion factor of 1000/3600, which takes into account the distance and time units.

3. Can I use an online converter to convert km/h to m/s squared?

Yes, there are many online converters available that can easily convert km/h to m/s squared. Just make sure to double check the results to ensure accuracy.

4. Why is it important to convert from km/h to m/s squared?

Converting from km/h to m/s squared allows us to understand the acceleration of an object in meters per second squared, which is a standard unit of measurement in physics and engineering. It also helps to compare the acceleration of objects with different speeds.

5. Is there an easy way to remember the conversion from km/h to m/s squared?

One way to remember the conversion is to think of it as shifting the decimal point three places to the left. For example, 60 km/h would become 6 m/s squared. Another way is to remember that 1 km/h is equivalent to 0.2778 m/s, which can easily be converted to m/s squared.