Need help on a very simple geometry problem

• Thread starter Modernization
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the side of a regular hexagon is twice the square root of its apothem. Using a formula for special triangles, we can determine that the length of the apothem is equal to the square root of the side length divided by 2 times the square root of 3.
Modernization

Homework Statement

a side of a regular hexagon is twice the square root of its apothem. Find the length of the apothem and the side

Homework Equations

a formula for special triangle
90 degree side is doubled the 30 degree side, and 60 degree side is root 3 times the 30 degree side

The Attempt at a Solution

after drawing the pictures and do the math, i got:
side: 2 times square root of a; a stands for apothem, an unknown value
apothem: square root of a times square root of three

Physics news on Phys.org
How about making a formula for the ratio length of side and apothem? Replace the side length of the hexagon from the info. Solve.

Modernization said:

Homework Statement

a side of a regular hexagon is twice the square root of its apothem. Find the length of the apothem and the side

Homework Equations

a formula for special triangle
90 degree side is doubled the 30 degree side, and 60 degree side is root 3 times the 30 degree side

The Attempt at a Solution

after drawing the pictures and do the math, i got:
side: 2 times square root of a; a stands for apothem, an unknown value
apothem: square root of a times square root of three

In your second line, you say that "a stands for apothem" (You mean that a stands for the length of the apothem- let's be precise!) but in the third line you say "apothem: square root of a times square root of three". Obviously a is not the length of the apothem in that line; what is a?

HallsofIvy said:
In your second line, you say that "a stands for apothem" (You mean that a stands for the length of the apothem- let's be precise!) but in the third line you say "apothem: square root of a times square root of three". Obviously a is not the length of the apothem in that line; what is a?
My answer was wrong.:confused: I'm guessing there's another method to solve this, like plugging in numbers... Instead of making X the unknown value, i used "a" .

What is a simple geometry problem?

A simple geometry problem is a mathematical question that involves basic geometric shapes and concepts, such as angles, lines, and polygons.

Why do I need help with a simple geometry problem?

Sometimes, even the simplest geometry problems can be challenging to solve. It is always helpful to get a fresh perspective or additional guidance from others to ensure accuracy and understanding.

What are some common types of simple geometry problems?

Some common types of simple geometry problems include finding the perimeter or area of a shape, identifying different types of angles or triangles, and solving basic equations involving geometric shapes.

What are some tips for solving a simple geometry problem?

One tip is to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram or use manipulatives to visualize the problem. Additionally, using known formulas and equations can make solving simple geometry problems easier.

Where can I find help for a simple geometry problem?

You can find help for a simple geometry problem from various sources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, or asking a teacher or classmate for assistance. There are also many geometry problem-solving apps and tools available for additional support.