How can I make my wheel motor electromagnets stronger for a high school project?

In summary, the individual is trying to build a wheel motor that is similar to the one pictured on Popsci.com. They have trouble making the electromagnets strong enough to influence the magnets on the rim, and they also plan on using a stepper motor controller.
Decoherence
I'm doing an independent study for high school, and my project is to build a wheel motor such as the one pictured http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/files/articles/hiw_hybrid_infog_485.jpg" (though less complex, obviously). Essentially what I'm trying to do is to make an inverted stepper motor, with the electromagnets on the hub and the permanent magnets on the rim. As my knowledge of electromagnetism is fairly limited, I've been having some trouble making electromagnets strong enough to influence the magnets on the rim. I know the basics of electromagnets (ie. more turns = stronger field, using an iron core), but so far I haven't been able to get the field strength that I need.
At the moment, I'm using the 30-gauge wire from http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...et+wire&origkw=magnet+wire&parentPage=search", but I haven't been able to find a good core material around where I live. Any advice on where to get good iron cores or general advice about making the electromagnets stronger would be greatly appreciated.
In addition, I plan on controlling the electromagnets with a stepper motor controller; is this a decent idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
With respect if you attempting products such as this you should start by learning more about electromagnetism and about the various types of motors. I think most electric traction.. cars or TGV trains have moved to over to 3 phase AC induction motors and the 3 phase is electronically generated from DC or single phase AC,

Hi,

Sounds like a fun project! You can get some good magnets and cores by salvaging auto parts. Solenoid cores are usually either iron or steel, and any starter motors will have decent magnets and coils in them. There is a hefty solenoid on most car ignition systems, or the door lock on many washing machines.

I don’t know from your post if your making a proof of concept or the real deal, but if your having problems producing enough force to turn the wheel, then you may consider using a motorcycle back wheel instead as they are lightweight with a broad rim to mount your magnets on. (Its a sad fact that the rear wheel on motorcycles usually survives a crash so they are not hard to get).

Can you post up some pictures of what you have to work with already?

Utwig

1. How do wheel motor electromagnets work?

Wheel motor electromagnets work by using the principles of electromagnetism. An electromagnet is created by passing an electric current through a coiled wire, which generates a magnetic field. This magnetic field then interacts with another magnetic field, causing the wire to move and create rotational motion.

2. What are the advantages of using wheel motor electromagnets?

There are several advantages to using wheel motor electromagnets. Firstly, they are more efficient and can provide higher torque compared to traditional motors. They also have a simpler design, as they do not require gears, belts, or chains. This makes them more compact and lightweight, which is beneficial for applications where space is limited. Additionally, wheel motor electromagnets can provide precise control over speed and direction of rotation.

3. What are the different types of wheel motor electromagnets?

There are two main types of wheel motor electromagnets: permanent magnet motors and induction motors. Permanent magnet motors use a fixed magnet within the wheel to create the magnetic field, while induction motors use a changing magnetic field created by alternating current passing through the wire coils. Both types have their own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice depends on the specific application.

4. What are some common applications of wheel motor electromagnets?

Wheel motor electromagnets have a wide range of applications, including electric vehicles, robotics, and industrial machinery. They are also commonly used in electric bikes, scooters, and skateboards. Additionally, they are used in conveyor belts, elevators, and other systems that require precise control over motion.

5. Can wheel motor electromagnets be used in harsh environments?

Yes, wheel motor electromagnets can be designed to withstand harsh environments. For example, they can be sealed to protect against moisture, dust, and other contaminants. They can also be made with materials that can withstand high temperatures, making them suitable for use in industrial settings. However, the design and materials used may vary depending on the specific environment and conditions the electromagnet will be operating in.