Solving the Laplace Equation on a Circular Wedge

But I don't think it's right to say the r-μ part is ruled out. If you have further questions, you might start a new thread since this one is already marked as having been answered.In summary, the Laplace equation with given boundary conditions on a circular wedge can be solved by separating variables and using the equations Q'' + (k^2)Q = 0, (r^2)P'' + rP' - (k^2)P = 0, where k is a constant. The solution involves using the functions sin(μθ) and sinh(μln(r/R)) and choosing suitable parameters to satisfy the boundary conditions. However, further clarification may be needed and a new thread can be
NT123

Homework Statement

I need to solve the Laplace equation, u_rr + (1/r)u_r + (1/r^2)u_{theta}{theta} = 0,
on a circular wedge with radius R, angle {alpha}, where u(r,0) = 0, u(R,{theta}) = 0, and
u(r,{alpha}) = 50.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Separate variables - u(r,{theta}) = P(r)Q({theta}), and we have the equations

Q'' + (k^2)Q = 0, (r^2)P'' + rP' - (k^2)P = 0, where k is a constant. Q_n = Asin(n{theta})+Bcos(n{theta}), P_n = C(r^n).

Since u(r,0) = 0, B = 0. Now, since u(R,{theta}) = 0, this must mean R^n = 0, hence
R = 0, so u = 0 for all r, {theta}. Is this reasoning correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
NT123 said:

Homework Statement

I need to solve the Laplace equation, u_rr + (1/r)u_r + (1/r^2)u_{theta}{theta} = 0,
on a circular wedge with radius R, angle {alpha}, where u(r,0) = 0, u(R,{theta}) = 0, and
u(r,{alpha}) = 50.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Separate variables - u(r,{theta}) = P(r)Q({theta}), and we have the equations

Q'' + (k^2)Q = 0, (r^2)P'' + rP' - (k^2)P = 0, where k is a constant. Q_n = Asin(n{theta})+Bcos(n{theta}), P_n = C(r^n).

Since u(r,0) = 0, B = 0. Now, since u(R,{theta}) = 0, this must mean R^n = 0, hence
R = 0, so u = 0 for all r, {theta}. Is this reasoning correct?

No, it isn't. You don't get just rn but you also get r-n. And I would suggest using something other than n since it isn't restricted to integer values with only one theta boundary condition. Perhaps μ would be better. So you have sin(μθ) and you have {rμ,r}, or equivalently {eμln(r),e-μln(r)} or, even better, {cosh(μln(r)),sinh(μln(r)}. This would give a two parameter family Acosh(μln(r)) + Bsinh(μln(r)), which looks like an addition formula. Since you have a zero boundary condition when r = R, this suggests even another choice for a two parameter family:

P(r) = A sinh(μln(r) + B)

Then P(R) = A sinh(μln(R) + B) and this can be made to be 0 by picking B = -μln(R).

This gives P(r) = A sinh(μln(r)-μln(R)) = A sinh(μln(r/R))

So at this point you have:

Qμ = sin(μθ) and Pμ=sinh(μln(r/R)).

These work in your DE and solve the homogeneous BC's. Hopefully, you can take it from there because it's been too long since I have looked at this stuff.

LCKurtz said:
No, it isn't. You don't get just rn but you also get r-n

I thought the r^(-n) part was removed because then the solution would go to infinity at r = 0.

NT123 said:
I thought the r^(-n) part was removed because then the solution would go to infinity at r = 0.

You didn't give careful statements of your boundary conditions but I would expect they are something like this:

u(r,0) = 0, 0 < r < R
u(R,θ) = 0, 0 < θ < α
u(r,α) = 50, 0 < r < R

In particular you aren't giving u(0,0) and the first and third conditions would disagree if you tried. So I don't see where keeping the r is ruled out. And you need it to get your second boundary condition as I have shown. Your separated equation for P(r) has a singular point at r =0.

You can verify that u(r,θ) = Asin(μθ)sinh(μln(r/R)) satisfies the DE and the homogeneous BC's. But, like I said, you're on your own from here.

1. What is the Laplace Equation - Wedge?

The Laplace Equation - Wedge is a mathematical equation that describes the variation of a scalar function in a two-dimensional space. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as heat diffusion, fluid flow, and electrostatic potential.

2. How is the Laplace Equation - Wedge different from the regular Laplace Equation?

The regular Laplace Equation is a special case of the Laplace Equation - Wedge, where the function being analyzed is independent of one of the variables. In the Laplace Equation - Wedge, the function varies in both variables, allowing for more complex and realistic modeling.

3. What is the significance of the wedge in the Laplace Equation - Wedge?

The wedge in the Laplace Equation - Wedge represents the angle at which the boundary conditions change. This allows for more realistic modeling of physical systems with varying boundary conditions, such as a corner or a sharp edge.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Laplace Equation - Wedge?

The Laplace Equation - Wedge has a wide range of applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to model heat flow in materials, fluid flow around objects, and electrical potential in circuits.

5. How is the Laplace Equation - Wedge solved?

The Laplace Equation - Wedge can be solved using various numerical methods, such as finite difference, finite element, and boundary element methods. These methods involve dividing the region of interest into smaller elements and solving the equation at each point to obtain a numerical solution.