Easy Question, Sunspots Astronomy Umbra and Penumbral sunspot areas

In summary, the conversation discusses using image processing software to quantify the umbra and penumbral areas of a sunspot image. The significance of determining these areas is also discussed, as well as potential methods for calculating them. The conversation also includes a link for further information on sunspots.
krhisjun
Didnt know if this is the write palce to put this, but I am stuck on this assingment and i think it must have an easy solution so if someone could point me in the right direction then it would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

Using an appropriate software package, quantify the umbra and penumbral areas, normalised to the total image area, for the sunspot image provided (Sunspot image can be found on eBridge). Quantify and comment on the uncertainty in your measurements and discuss the significance of determining umbra and penumbral sunspot areas.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the third and final question on the assingment, i have done the other two but arnt quite sure where to start with this one.. the only idea i thought of would be to use something like photoshop and use circles to border the Umbra and Penumbra areas with minimal, max and average circles which would provide me with an area and then the min and max would provide me with an area, however this seems to be like it would provide extremely large errors
The only other option i thought of would be to count the pixels individuall of the Umbra and Penumbra, but this isn't something i think i could bring myself to do as I am sure you could understand.

Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• sunspots resized.jpg
    sunspots resized.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
krhisjun said:
Didnt know if this is the write palce to put this, but I am stuck on this assingment and i think it must have an easy solution so if someone could point me in the right direction then it would be much appreciated.

Homework Statement

Using an appropriate software package, quantify the umbra and penumbral areas, normalised to the total image area, for the sunspot image provided (Sunspot image can be found on eBridge). Quantify and comment on the uncertainty in your measurements and discuss the significance of determining umbra and penumbral sunspot areas.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the third and final question on the assingment, i have done the other two but arnt quite sure where to start with this one.. the only idea i thought of would be to use something like photoshop and use circles to border the Umbra and Penumbra areas with minimal, max and average circles which would provide me with an area and then the min and max would provide me with an area, however this seems to be like it would provide extremely large errors
The only other option i thought of would be to count the pixels individuall of the Umbra and Penumbra, but this isn't something i think i could bring myself to do as I am sure you could understand.

Any help is much appreciated.

Interesting. Do you have any image processing software packages that you could consider for use on this? Not so much Photoshop, but more like image enhancement and processing?

If you had a graphics tablet, you could trace the circumferences of the two parts, and then you'd need some way to calculate the area enclosed by the traced lines. Do you know of any software packages that allow you to do that?

Ive just spoken to a friend that used photoshop and the lasso tool to outline the areas then using one of the options it will give a pixel count. i can understand how this will give me the area, and thus the ratio, but not how i could quantify any errors in this calculation..

Thanks for the reply

Cool. I didn't know Photoshop had that feature. Good to know.

Can anyone explain the significance of the umbra and penumbra areas?

Thats a good link but doesn't explain the significance of the areas of the umbra and penumbra areas shamefully...

What are sunspots in astronomy?

Sunspots are dark, cooler regions that appear on the surface of the sun. They are caused by intense magnetic activity and can range in size from a few hundred kilometers to tens of thousands of kilometers.

What is the difference between the umbra and penumbra of a sunspot?

The umbra is the darkest, central part of a sunspot where the magnetic field is the strongest. The penumbra is the lighter region surrounding the umbra where the magnetic field is weaker.

How are sunspots formed?

Sunspots are formed when the sun's magnetic field becomes twisted and tangled due to its rotation. This creates areas of intense magnetic activity where the sun's surface cools, creating the dark spots we see.

What is the significance of sunspots in astronomy?

Sunspots are important in understanding the sun's magnetic activity and can help predict solar flares and other space weather events. They also provide insight into the sun's internal processes and its impact on Earth's climate.

How are the areas of sunspots measured?

The area of a sunspot is measured in millionths of the solar hemisphere, or millionths of the sun's visible surface. This is known as the "sunspot number" and is a way to track the activity of sunspots over time.