How much will my pool water rise when it turns to ice?

In summary, the individual is concerned about their above ground pool in northeast Ohio freezing over the winter. They have been advised to drain some water to prevent damage to the walls, but are hesitant to waste water. They also have questions about the use of an "air pillow" to prevent ice damage. The conversation also includes a discussion about the expansion of ice and its effects on the water level. Overall, the individual is seeking clarification and additional insight on how to best protect their pool during the winter.
pkguy57
My 21' above ground pool in northeast Ohio freezes each winter. There is 52" of water in it now and that is 3" below the wall caps. I usually don't have it this full, but we've had a LOT of rain lately. I was told to drain some water out of it so that the rising ice will not destroy the top pieces of the walls. How low from the top of the rails do I have to drain? I really don't like the idea of wasting water and then paying to fill it again in spring. But I also don't like the idea of buying new wall caps.

As a related question, I usually put an "air pillow" under the winter cover because I was told this helps keep the expanding ice from pushing out against the walls. Is this bunk or a justified practice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ice volume is somewhat 10% larger than the same mass of fluid water

10%, huh? That means that the level will rise about 5 inches. But the sides of the pool don't bulge out 10% when frozen, so will the level rise more?

pkguy57 said:
10%, huh? That means that the level will rise about 5 inches. But the sides of the pool don't bulge out 10% when frozen, so will the level rise more?

You're right, the expansion is isotropic and in a rigid container the level will definitely rise more.

pkguy57 said:

If each linear dimension expanded by 10% then the total increase in volume would be 33%. In a non rigid container a volumetric expansion of 10% would mean that the linear dimensions would expand by about 3%. Since your pool is mostly rigid all the expansion takes place along its vertical axis, so a 10% increase in volume means a 10% increase in water height.

You don't need to think more. Just the height of water level inscrease by
(density of water/density of ice) * original height of pool

Note-While formulating this equation the pool is regarded as rigid. So length and breadth doesn't alters.

Why don't you just stick a cup of water in the freezer and find out.
And also this reminds me of an interesting concept in physics, let's say i have a glass of ice water and all the ice melts, How does the water level change in the glass?

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help. I did put a cup of water and a water filled balloon in the freezer just now. They have roughly the same volume of water so I will let interested parties know the results here. (Cup is 2.75" x 1" and the balloon has a circum. of 7.5")

Can I then safely use that info and say that the ice in my pool will rise to the same percentage as the cup?

And does anyone have any insight into the utilization of the "air pillow"?

1. How much will my pool water rise when it turns to ice?

The amount of rise in pool water when it turns to ice varies depending on several factors such as the volume of the pool, the temperature of the water, and the type of pool construction. However, on average, water expands by about 9% when it freezes, so a pool with 10,000 gallons of water could potentially rise by 900 gallons when it turns to ice.

2. Will my pool crack if the water turns to ice?

In most cases, a pool will not crack if the water turns to ice. Modern pools are designed to withstand the expansion of frozen water. However, if the pool is poorly constructed or has pre-existing structural issues, there is a possibility of cracking. It is important to properly maintain and inspect your pool to prevent any potential damage.

3. Can I prevent my pool water from turning into ice?

It is not recommended to prevent your pool water from turning into ice. The expansion of the ice helps relieve pressure on the pool walls and prevents them from cracking. Additionally, trying to prevent the water from freezing could potentially damage pool equipment or pipes.

4. How long does it take for pool water to turn into ice?

The time it takes for pool water to turn into ice depends on the temperature and the size of your pool. In general, it takes a few days for the water to completely freeze, but you may notice a layer of ice forming on the surface within a few hours of freezing temperatures.

5. What should I do if my pool water turns to ice?

If your pool water turns to ice, it is important to stay off the surface to prevent any potential accidents. Once the ice has melted, you can resume using your pool as normal. However, it is important to inspect and maintain your pool to check for any potential damage from the frozen water.