Poor Iq , but want to do a PHD

• Programs
  • Thread starter rbnphlp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq Phd
In summary, the conversation is about a 3rd year theoretical physicist who recently received their Mensa test scores and is feeling discouraged about their potential for a PhD due to their average IQ score of 104. Other participants in the conversation reassure them that IQ tests are not an accurate measure of intelligence and encourage them to continue pursuing their studies in theoretical physics.
rbnphlp
Hi all,

Today I got my mensa test scores back , it was 104 ..Im a 3rd year theoretical physicst in one of the top universities in the US , with a first in my first year and 2nd year . I was planning to do a PHD later , but this test has dented my hopes ..I am quite good at maths , maybe the in top 10 in my class ..However it looks like I don't have any natural intelligence , just intelligence from learning books ..Im thinking of quiting and maybe be an accountant or something.

Rant over

Physics news on Phys.org
Pah. IQ tests tell nothing. They certainly don't tell how good a physicist you'll be.

An IQ test measures how well you take an IQ test.

Stay on the path you're on, don't concern yourself with such things as Mensa or IQ tests (they're silly IMO). Just keep your eye on the prize, you'll do fine.

I don't get it.

You made it through the first two years and you even are in the top 10 of your class, but you're thinking of quitting because of an IQ test? I think you need to do a reality check. :wink:

rbnphlp said:
Hi all,

Today I got my mensa test scores back , it was 104 ..Im a 3rd year theoretical physicst in one of the top universities in the US , with a first in my first year and 2nd year . I was planning to do a PHD later , but this test has dented my hopes ..I am quite good at maths , maybe the in top 10 in my class ..However it looks like I don't have any natural intelligence , just intelligence from learning books ..Im thinking of quiting and maybe be an accountant or something.

Rant over

Assuming this is representative of how you normally write, then I'm assuming English is a foreign language to you. IQ tests are a function of your command over the language of the test, which is (AFAIK) always English, not anything to do with your actual intelligence.

Angry Citizen said:
IQ tests are a function of your command over the language of the test, which is (AFAIK) always English, not anything to do with your actual intelligence.

Wait, what? We non-English people have IQ tests too, you know! (And I'm quite sure in my country Mensa uses a Dutch test.)

Angry Citizen said:
IQ tests are a function of your command over the language of the test, which is (AFAIK) always English, not anything to do with your actual intelligence.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. They make the IQ test in other languages. I remember there were some chinese students during my undergrad taking chinese versions.

There is no such thing as an accurate measure of natural intelligence dude. Your IQ scores can increase if you did practice IQ tests before doing the real thing. IQ also increases with formal education, allowing higher levels of abstract thought perhaps.

This is what they call a "troll thread."

cdotter said:
This is what they call a "troll thread."

Why?

rbnphlp said:
Hi all,

Rant over

I'm doubting this as well. Theoretical physics is not a major in the US, and the US does not use terminology like 'with a first in my first year'. That's not something that US schools award.

DaveC426913 said:
Why?

Why would anyone smart enough to study theoretical physics at one of the top universities in the US care about something as stupid and pointless like the membership test results of chronic mental masturbation support group?

DaveC426913 said:
Why?
Because as has been pointed out, the OP is not what he claims.

For those who , think I am not real ..take a look at the threads I created for the last two years . I doubt a troll would take that much effort to do that ..I might be lying about my location (beacause I didnt want people to recognise me) .But as I said I am a theoretical physicist studying in one of the top universities in the world , who is good at maths ..
Believe it or not..

rbnphlp said:
For those who , think I am not real ..take a look at the threads I created for the last two years . I doubt a troll would take that much effort to do that ..I might be lying about my location (beacause I didnt want people to recognise me) .But as I said I am a theoretical physicist studying in one of the top universities in the world , who is good at maths ..
Believe it or not..

As a matter of fact, I did look at your threads and noticed that some of them were about theoretical physics, so your explanation makes sense. In any case, if you're a troll, you're not a very good one, as I haven't seen a flame yet. At worst, you've wasted about 5 minutes of my time. :smile: Regardless, I think you're putting too much stock in IQ, and doing a PhD with an average is obviously possible - especially for someone who's in the top 10 of his/her class.

rbnphlp said:
Hi all,

Rant over

Choose a number from 1 to 10.

This is precisely why I have always emphatically refused to take IQ tests. From my perspective, there are only two possible outcomes:

1.) The result is lower than what I expect. This alters the way I view myself, and approach problems, even if only in a subconscious way. It could also have a real, measurable impact on my performance due to a preexisting expectation psychologically that I should do poorly.

2.) The result is higher than I expect. This can only generate unwarranted overconfidence in myself, based solely on the results of a test that may or may not "measure" anything at all.

Neither of these outcomes is positive. Thus, why should I bother even wasting my time to take the test? I once read that Andy Warhol, the noted artist, had an IQ of something like 70. He was admittedly off-the-wall, but I think he had an undeniable influence on the course of art in the 20th century. To offer perhaps a more pithy example to a physics-minded person, I think Feynman once took an IQ test and got something like a 110. Not horrible, but certainly not something that would seem to indicate one of the greatest geniuses in the history of human science.

Dirac_Man said:
This is precisely why I have always emphatically refused to take IQ tests.

Heh. I know what you mean. I felt incredibly stupid after taking one: having always convinced myself that IQ didn't matter, I shouldn't have felt so proud about my oh-so-impressive 'intelligence'.

rbnphlp said:
Hi all,

Rant over

Btw, sorry if this is a bit too sensitive or off-topic, but I'm curious: why were you interested in joining Mensa? For social contacts?

Since when is a 104 a "poor" IQ? Average, yes. Poor, no. You have to be smart to get a PhD, but you don't have to be a genius. IQ tests are debatable. If you're doing well in your program, don't worry about it too much.

If you can get through an undergraduate physics course, then it doesn't matter if you score 100 or 20 on an IQ test.

lisab said:
Btw, sorry if this is a bit too sensitive or off-topic, but I'm curious: why were you interested in joining Mensa? For social contacts?

Thought I might Bragg about it , but obviously backfired :pJust kidding,

I kind of set this goal , that if I don't have an IQ of 125 or above , I won't be able to contribute anything in physics .. So I might well do some kind of other job like teaching or finance or something ..

rbnphlp said:
Thought I might Bragg about it , but obviously backfired :p

Just kidding,

I kind of set this goal , that if I don't have an IQ of 125 or above , I won't be able to contribute anything in physics .. So I might well do some kind of other job like teaching or finance or something ..

dont you understand? IQ tests do not show anything. ingore your IQ score.
I haven't taken any IQ test in my whole life. I was the best among the physics students of the top university of Turkey.
my friends, relatives, teachers, neighbors think I am very smart.
do I need an IQ test?

rbnphlp said:

That's a ridiculous thought. I don't think grad school committee gives a damn about your IQ, they don't even ask it to people wanting to enter a graduate program. As quantum-fish said or implies if I'm not mistaken, as long as you go through and do well in undergraduate studies then you should have no problem to continue further, regardless of your IQ.

I disagree.

I took an online IQ test to win a free ipod and got a 180! That means I'm like 1.5 times smarter than Feynman.

Frankly, don't do a PhD. Anyone that cares about some irrelevant number is likely to not be critical enough to question what an IQ test can and does actually measure (an important characteristic of a scientist; be critical).

It sucks to be disappointed by your scores, but don't overthink yourself out of pursuing a subject you enjoy. If you've been doing well so far, that's all that really matters. There is no absolute IQ threshold for success, and setting one for yourself will only stress you out.

Pyrrhus said:
Frankly, don't do a PhD. Anyone that cares about some irrelevant number is likely to not be critical enough to question what an IQ test can and does actually measure (an important characteristic of a scientist; be critical).

I disagree. People care about a lot of things, many of them irrational. While critical thinking is important, it's not like you can always operate out of pure logic. Sometimes it's harder to apply critical thinking when things get personal. It's natural to worry a bit if things don't turn out how you expect--it's where you go from there that matters.

20Tauri said:
It sucks to be disappointed by your scores, but don't overthink yourself out of pursuing a subject you enjoy. If you've been doing well so far, that's all that really matters. There is no absolute IQ threshold for success, and setting one for yourself will only stress you out.

I disagree. People care about a lot of things, many of them irrational. While critical thinking is important, it's not like you can always operate out of pure logic. Sometimes it's harder to apply critical thinking when things get personal. It's natural to worry a bit if things don't turn out how you expect--it's where you go from there that matters.

There's a difference with caring about an IQ test versus caring about the result of an experiment. Also, research rarely goes as expected. That is the point of research. If you can't adapt to research not going the way that it is expected, then again don't be a scientist. However, I am not here to discourage anyone.

I am just stating some useful tips for future researchers.

Your problem is your ego. Also, you are merely a student of physics, not a Theoretical Physicist. I love it when these silly undergrads call themselves "2nd year Engineer" or "3rd year Chemist", as if they actually are on Tenure Payroll at a university and have publications in Nature.

20Tauri said:
It sucks to be disappointed by your scores, but don't overthink yourself out of pursuing a subject you enjoy.

The trouble is that getting a Ph.D. is pure agony. It can be enjoyable in a twisted masochistic way, but if you can't deal with getting your nose rubbed in your own incompetence, then it's not going to work.

I'm not sure that the OP is qualified to do a Ph.D. Nothing to do with IQ, but his reaction to his IQ score makes me think that the first time something goes wrong in his research (and everything will go wrong) he'll quit. "Raw intelligence" is not that important for getting a Ph.D. done but persistence is.

The other thing is that lots of people should be discouraged from getting a Ph.D. It's like swimming the English Channel. It's better not to start then get into trouble half way across. I try to discourage people from getting a physics Ph.D. because if there is anything that I can say that keeps you from going, then you'll never make it across.

If getting a low score on an IQ test is going to cause you to give up, then you are doomed. What happens when you fail your qualifiers?

If you've been doing well so far, that's all that really matters. There is no absolute IQ threshold for success, and setting one for yourself will only stress you out.

There are some minimum intellectual requirements for doing a physics Ph.D. If you just can't (or won't) do calculus, then it's not going to work at all. On the other hand, the OP doesn't seem to be hitting any of those limits.

5kold said:
Your problem is your ego. Also, you are merely a student of physics, not a Theoretical Physicist. I love it when these silly undergrads call themselves "2nd year Engineer" or "3rd year Chemist", as if they actually are on Tenure Payroll at a university and have publications in Nature.
I didn't add this but I find this funny actually. Sometimes people say 'blah blah but you're the chemist' and I'm just like, 'No, I'm not actually, I'm just getting a bachelors at the moment...'

If you want to quit, then quit. This thread shows that you don't even know what critical thinking is. Clearly, you don't care about science. You just want people to think you are smart. So you are going to make a very poor PhD candidate.

R.P.F. said:
If you want to quit, then quit. This thread shows that you don't even know what critical thinking is. Clearly, you don't care about science. You just want people to think you are smart. So you are going to make a very poor PhD candidate.
You could absolutely not infer all this from his opening post. For one, you can't say he doesn't care about science because he is misguided about IQs.

Jorriss said:
You could absolutely not infer all this from his opening post. For one, you can't say he doesn't care about science because he is misguided about IQs.

You might be right. But it is hardly relevant whether he cares about science. He is not just misguided about IQs, he also mentioned that he wanted to join mensa because he wanted to brag about it. Given this, I doubt he has the characteristic to put him though a PhD program, where a lot of his research could seem fruitless. IMHO, any person with a reasonable amount of critical thinking skills should know what to think of IQ tests. Based on these two aspects, I can hardly believe that the OP could make a good PhD candidate or a scientist.

A PhD is not an IQ test. If you can pass the qualifying exams you are a viable candidate, maybe even if not. PhD is about creativity, and is often also achieved by tenacity.

<h2>1. Can someone with a poor IQ still pursue a PhD?</h2><p>Yes, having a low IQ does not necessarily mean that one cannot succeed in pursuing a PhD. Intelligence is just one factor that contributes to academic success, and there are many other qualities and skills that are important for completing a PhD, such as determination, hard work, and critical thinking.</p><h2>2. Will having a poor IQ make it harder to get accepted into a PhD program?</h2><p>It may be more challenging to get accepted into a PhD program with a lower IQ, as many programs have strict academic requirements. However, having a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and a compelling personal statement can help offset a lower IQ and increase your chances of being accepted.</p><h2>3. Are there any accommodations or support available for students with a poor IQ in a PhD program?</h2><p>Yes, universities and PhD programs often have support services and accommodations in place for students with learning disabilities or challenges, such as a poor IQ. These may include extra time for exams, note-taking assistance, or tutoring services. It is important to reach out to the program and discuss any accommodations needed before starting the program.</p><h2>4. Will having a poor IQ affect my ability to complete a PhD successfully?</h2><p>It is possible that having a lower IQ may make certain aspects of a PhD program more difficult, such as understanding complex concepts or performing well on standardized tests. However, with hard work, determination, and utilizing available resources and support, it is possible to successfully complete a PhD program and contribute meaningful research to your field.</p><h2>5. Are there any successful PhD holders with a poor IQ?</h2><p>Yes, there have been many successful individuals who have completed a PhD despite having a lower IQ. For example, Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman had a below-average IQ, and renowned mathematician John Nash, subject of the film "A Beautiful Mind," was diagnosed with schizophrenia and had a lower IQ. These individuals were able to overcome their challenges and make significant contributions to their fields through hard work and determination.</p>

1. Can someone with a poor IQ still pursue a PhD?

Yes, having a low IQ does not necessarily mean that one cannot succeed in pursuing a PhD. Intelligence is just one factor that contributes to academic success, and there are many other qualities and skills that are important for completing a PhD, such as determination, hard work, and critical thinking.

2. Will having a poor IQ make it harder to get accepted into a PhD program?

It may be more challenging to get accepted into a PhD program with a lower IQ, as many programs have strict academic requirements. However, having a strong academic background, relevant research experience, and a compelling personal statement can help offset a lower IQ and increase your chances of being accepted.

3. Are there any accommodations or support available for students with a poor IQ in a PhD program?

Yes, universities and PhD programs often have support services and accommodations in place for students with learning disabilities or challenges, such as a poor IQ. These may include extra time for exams, note-taking assistance, or tutoring services. It is important to reach out to the program and discuss any accommodations needed before starting the program.

4. Will having a poor IQ affect my ability to complete a PhD successfully?

It is possible that having a lower IQ may make certain aspects of a PhD program more difficult, such as understanding complex concepts or performing well on standardized tests. However, with hard work, determination, and utilizing available resources and support, it is possible to successfully complete a PhD program and contribute meaningful research to your field.

5. Are there any successful PhD holders with a poor IQ?

Yes, there have been many successful individuals who have completed a PhD despite having a lower IQ. For example, Nobel Prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman had a below-average IQ, and renowned mathematician John Nash, subject of the film "A Beautiful Mind," was diagnosed with schizophrenia and had a lower IQ. These individuals were able to overcome their challenges and make significant contributions to their fields through hard work and determination.