Deflection of electron beam in oscilloscope

In summary: CRT tube, using the equations for kinetic energy, electric field, and distance along the plates. The force equation F=Eq is involved, as well as the equation for centripetal force, and the answer is 0.34mm. The motion can be decomposed into horizontal and vertical components, similar to projectile motion.
Blehs

Homework Statement

Calculate the deflection of an electron beam as it passes between the plates of a CRT tube.
In the picture, the parallel plates create an electric field, with the positive plate on top and the negative plate on bottom, causing the electron's path to be deflected upwards as it travels to the right.

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy of electrons: K = 3.2 x 10^-16 J
Electric field between plates: E = 1.2 x 10^4 N/C
Distance along plates = 15mm

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the equation F=Eq is involved. I've been told that the force is centripetal, so that the equation for centripetal force is also involved, but I am not entirely convinced. This is because centripetal force is always perpendicular to the velocity, but in this example that can't be the case.
So I am stuck and need help.

[edit] and the answer is 0.34mm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Blehs said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the deflection of an electron beam as it passes between the plates of a CRT tube.
In the picture, the parallel plates create an electric field, with the positive plate on top and the negative plate on bottom, causing the electron's path to be deflected upwards as it travels to the right.

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy of electrons: K = 3.2 x 10^-16 J
Electric field between plates: E = 1.2 x 10^4 N/C
Distance along plates = 15mm

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the equation F=Eq is involved. I've been told that the force is centripetal, so that the equation for centripetal force is also involved, but I am not entirely convinced. This is because centripetal force is always perpendicular to the velocity, but in this example that can't be the case.
So I am stuck and need help.

[edit] and the answer is 0.34mm

A constant force F=qE acts on the electron in the vertical direction while its initial velocity is horizontal. The problem is analogous with projectile motion, the trajectory is parabolic. You can decompose the motion into horizontal and vertical direction.

ehild

What is an oscilloscope?

An oscilloscope is a scientific instrument used to display and analyze electronic signals, typically in the form of a graph. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and electronics.

How does the electron beam in an oscilloscope work?

The electron beam in an oscilloscope is generated by a cathode ray tube (CRT), which produces a stream of electrons. These electrons are then accelerated and focused into a narrow beam by an electric field. The beam is then deflected by magnetic coils to create a visual display on the screen of the oscilloscope.

What is the purpose of deflection of the electron beam in an oscilloscope?

The deflection of the electron beam allows the oscilloscope to display the shape and characteristics of an electronic signal. By manipulating the deflection of the beam, the oscilloscope can show the amplitude, frequency, and other properties of the signal being measured.

How is the deflection of the electron beam controlled in an oscilloscope?

The deflection of the electron beam is controlled by applying varying voltages to the horizontal and vertical deflection plates of the CRT. These voltages determine the position of the beam on the screen, allowing for precise measurement and display of the electronic signal.

What factors can affect the deflection of the electron beam in an oscilloscope?

The deflection of the electron beam can be affected by factors such as the strength of the electric and magnetic fields, the sensitivity settings of the oscilloscope, and the frequency and amplitude of the electronic signal being measured.