IPS vs E-link, what's best for eyes?

• Thread starter christian0710
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of eyestrain while reading e-books on an iPad and suggests that e-ink technology is better for reading. The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite is recommended as a top choice for its features such as a built-in backlight and long battery life. It is also mentioned that any e-link device would be suitable for reading and a cheaper option is suggested.
christian0710
Hi,
I'm running into the problem of getting eyestrain while reading e-books on my iPad. I know it uses IPS technology and read that E-link is better for the eyes.

What are your onions? And what alternative to a iPad would you suggest for reading for longer periods?

Computer science news on Phys.org
For just reading e-ink is unbeatable and the new Amazon Kindle paperwhite is getting the best reviews. You can read them in broad daylight without eyestrain, they don't cause headaches, the batteries can last up to ten days, they can hold 4,000 books, and the newest model even has a built in backlight that people say is great. IPS is really better for surfing the web or watching movies, while e-ink beats even old fashion paper for reading.

christian0710 said:
Perfect! So if it's just for reading, is ANY e-link device then good?
I'm thinking about a cheap one like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007HCCOD0/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Yeah, they're all great. I own a cheap one myself and wouldn't dream of using anything else.

I understand your concern about eyestrain while reading on electronic devices. The debate between IPS and E-link technology for eye health is ongoing, with both sides having their own arguments. However, based on current research and studies, it is generally believed that E-link technology is better for the eyes.

E-link technology, also known as electronic paper or e-paper, is designed to mimic the appearance of ink on paper. It uses reflected light, rather than emitting light like IPS screens, which puts less strain on the eyes. This is because our eyes are naturally adapted to viewing reflected light, such as from a book or newspaper.

On the other hand, IPS technology, which stands for in-plane switching, is commonly used in devices like smartphones and tablets. It offers better color reproduction and wider viewing angles, but the constant emission of light can cause eye fatigue and strain over time.

In terms of an alternative to an iPad for reading, I would recommend looking into dedicated e-readers that use E-link technology. These devices are specifically designed for reading and have features such as adjustable font sizes, glare-free screens, and long battery life. Examples include the Amazon Kindle and Kobo e-readers.

Ultimately, the best option for you will depend on your personal preferences and needs. If you prefer a device with more features and functions, then an iPad with an IPS screen may be suitable for you. However, if your main concern is eye health, then investing in an E-link e-reader may be a better choice. It's also important to take frequent breaks and practice good eye care habits, such as adjusting screen brightness and using proper lighting while reading.

1. What is the difference between IPS and E-link?

IPS (In-Plane Switching) and E-link (Electronic Ink) are two different display technologies. IPS is a type of LCD display that offers wider viewing angles and better color accuracy, while E-link is a type of electronic paper display that mimics the appearance of ink on paper.

2. Which display technology is better for the eyes?

Both IPS and E-link are considered eye-friendly display technologies. However, E-link is often preferred for long-term reading as it does not emit blue light and has a paper-like appearance that causes less strain on the eyes.

3. Can IPS displays cause eye strain?

Yes, IPS displays can cause eye strain in some people. This is because they emit blue light, which has been linked to eye strain, headaches, and insomnia. However, some IPS displays come with blue light filters or settings that can reduce the amount of blue light emitted.

4. Is E-link suitable for all types of content?

No, E-link displays are best suited for reading and displaying black and white content. They are not suitable for displaying videos, animations, or other colorful content as they have limited color capabilities.

5. Which display technology is more energy-efficient?

E-link displays are more energy-efficient compared to IPS displays. This is because E-link only requires energy when the content on the screen changes, while IPS displays constantly require energy to power the backlight and refresh the screen.