Question on Red shift applied to objects within the same galaxy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of red shift to calculate the speed of motion for objects within the same galaxy, the orbital motion of stellar objects within a galaxy, and the constant interactions and oscillations between stars. It is concluded that red shift can be used for both galaxies and stellar objects, but the orbital motion of stars does not hold everything in place and can result in varying red shift measurements over time.
TheDarkFrontie
Hi everyone,

I signed up just to ask you guys a quick question, as most of you will know infinitely more than I do on this subject. I'm not an astrophysicist, I have a strong interest in the universe and cosmology, but it's more of a hobby for me than a central focus, so I apologise in advance if this seems very elementary and obvious. Anyway, I just wanted to clear something up for a science fiction story I'm currently planning.

I know red shift is used to calculate the speed at which different galaxies are moving away from our own - but does that also apply to stellar objects within the same galaxy? I know that stellar bodies within the same galaxy all orbit a central point at the galactic core, but does that hold everything in place? For example - would a star say, 5,000 light years from Earth have the same red shift now as thousands of years ago?

Again, apologies if this seems very basic and obvious, but I thought it best to get clarification on this.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The blue/red shift of an object will tell you how fast it is moving toward or away from us, even inside our own galaxy. Hubble's law does not apply for objects so close, and the motion of objects within our galaxy depends on the details of their orbital motion in the potential of the galaxy, as you said. This orbital motion does not "hold everything together", so the galaxy does not rotate as a rigid body, for two reasons. First, objects closer to the center are orbiting faster, so even if all of the orbits were circular, stars would shift relative to each other over time. Second, the orbits are generally not circular. So if you plotted the trajectories of all of the stars, it would look like a big tangled plate of spaghetti. Even the orbit of a single star does not close on itself, so it does not follow the same path on successive orbits.

TheDarkFrontie said:
I know red shift is used to calculate the speed at which different galaxies are moving away from our own - but does that also apply to stellar objects within the same galaxy?

Yes. The redshift can be measured and used to figure out the motion away from or towards ourselves. Remember that redshift works the same for both galaxies moving away from us and for stars and other objects moving away from us as well. It is only the cause that is different.

I know that stellar bodies within the same galaxy all orbit a central point at the galactic core, but does that hold everything in place? For example - would a star say, 5,000 light years from Earth have the same red shift now as thousands of years ago?

No, stars are constantly passing and being passed, interacting with each other and everything else. They even oscillate up and down through the spiral arm they occupy, leading to a motion in the z axis as well. It's a big mess out there!

Thank you for your responses, it has been very helpful to me!

Hello!

No need to apologize, it's great that you're interested in cosmology and asking questions is always a good thing. To answer your question, yes, red shift does apply to objects within the same galaxy. Red shift is caused by the expansion of the universe, so any object that is moving away from us will have a red shift, regardless of whether it's in our own galaxy or a different one.

However, the red shift of objects within our own galaxy may be less significant than those in other galaxies, as the gravitational pull of our galaxy can counteract the expansion of the universe. This is why we see some objects in our own galaxy with very little red shift, while objects in distant galaxies may have a much higher red shift.

As for your example about a star 5,000 light years away having the same red shift as thousands of years ago, it's important to remember that red shift is also affected by the relative motion of the objects. So if the star is moving towards us, its red shift may decrease or even become a blue shift.

I hope this helps clarify things for you and good luck with your science fiction story!

1. What is red shift?

Red shift is the phenomenon where light from an object appears to have a longer wavelength, shifting towards the red end of the spectrum. This is caused by the object moving away from the observer, stretching the light waves as they travel through space.

2. How does red shift apply to objects within the same galaxy?

Red shift can occur within the same galaxy when objects are moving away from each other due to the expansion of the universe. This can also be caused by the gravitational pull of nearby objects or the rotation of the galaxy itself.

3. What is the significance of studying red shift within a galaxy?

Studying red shift within a galaxy can provide information about the movement and distribution of objects within the galaxy. This can help us understand the structure and evolution of the galaxy, as well as the larger scale expansion of the universe.

4. Can red shift be used to measure the distance between objects within the same galaxy?

Yes, red shift can be used to measure the relative distance between objects within the same galaxy. This is because the amount of red shift is directly proportional to the distance an object has moved away from the observer.

5. Are there any limitations to using red shift to study objects within the same galaxy?

Yes, there are limitations to using red shift within the same galaxy. This is because the red shift can be affected by other factors such as the object's velocity and the presence of interstellar gas and dust, which can alter the observed wavelength of light.