Understanding "S" in the Frequency Domain

In summary, 'S' in frequency domain is a complex variable represented by s=σ+jw where σ is the neper frequency and jw is the complex frequency. It can also be expressed as two orthogonal components, one being the cosine component and the other being the sine component. This variable allows for the expression of frequency and phase variations over time. A helpful resource for further understanding is the Wikipedia page on the s-plane.
pforpashya
Can somebody tell me exactly what is 'S' in frequency domain?

I know that s=σ+jw

where σ is neper frequency and jw is complex frequency but i want the precise information on s

you can suggest me a book in which it is clearly explained.

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is the way I think of it, but I may be completely wrong. Think of s as having a magnitude and phase (when expressed exponentially). If you express that rectangularly it can be seen as the sum of two orthogonal components. Call them what you will. One is the cosine component and the other is the sine component. I view complex numbers this way since the rectangular components are often difficult to visualize. Writing a polynomial with s and t allows you to express sine and cosine components that vary in time. Or, said another way, frequency and phase varying in time. If I said this incorrectly, we will soon find out :)

1. What is "S" in the frequency domain?

In the frequency domain, "S" stands for the complex variable that represents the frequency response of a system. It is used to describe how a system responds to different frequencies of input signals.

2. How is "S" related to the time domain?

In the time domain, "S" is related to the impulse response of a system. The impulse response describes how a system responds to a brief input signal, and it can be used to calculate the frequency response of the system.

3. What is the significance of understanding "S" in the frequency domain?

Understanding "S" in the frequency domain is crucial for analyzing and designing systems that operate in the frequency domain. It allows us to predict and control the behavior of a system at different frequencies, which is essential in fields like signal processing and communication systems.

4. How is "S" measured or calculated?

"S" can be measured experimentally using instruments such as network analyzers, which apply different frequencies of input signals to a system and measure its response. It can also be calculated mathematically using equations and techniques such as Fourier transforms.

5. Can "S" change over time?

Yes, "S" can change over time if the system is dynamic and its properties vary with time. In this case, the frequency response will also change over time, and it may need to be continuously measured or calculated to accurately describe the system's behavior.