Register to reply

Recycling electricity

by Smitty
Tags: electricity, recycling
Share this thread:
Smitty
Aug5-14, 02:50 PM
P: 2
If I can recycle electricity with a device made of pieces of equipment that ware out very slowly (Years or longer) would it be a good idea to build such a device?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
donpacino
Aug5-14, 03:11 PM
P: 290
that depends on the devices in question, the state of the devices, and how you are using them.
donpacino
Aug5-14, 03:12 PM
In general as long as the parts are not defective and operating correctly it should be fine

russ_watters
Aug5-14, 03:12 PM
Mentor
P: 22,315
Recycling electricity

Welcome to PF!

What does the phrase "recycle electricity" mean?
Smitty
Aug5-14, 03:27 PM
P: 2
"recycle electricity": After the electricity has been used for the primary purpose, say a light bulb, then using the light from the light bulb to create electricity for another purpose.
MrSparkle
Aug5-14, 03:43 PM
P: 115
that would be pointless. you are collecting so little energy, its not at all worth it.
russ_watters
Aug5-14, 04:04 PM
Mentor
P: 22,315
Well actually this is done for several things I can think of, so if the power need is small and wiring impractical/undesirable it could be useful. Examples:

Calculators
Faucets
Data loggers
donpacino
Aug5-14, 04:19 PM
I just realized I misunderstood your original post. I thought you wanted to recycle old electronics for a new purpose
sophiecentaur
Aug7-14, 06:09 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,269
Better than trying to re-use energy or materials is to use less of them in the first place. The savings are tax free, too. For all those little devices that run for years on a primary battery - keep using the batteries; they cost so little to run per day and you have true portability.

The philosopher's stone would be a non-contacting way of recharging mobile phones etc that costs little enough that you can have one in every room (every surface). Also, you need a way of reminding you to pick up the phone as you leave the room.
I really don't think that the 'charge anywhere in the room' system will ever be obtainable. Just wait until e-ink is good enough for fast, colourful displays and battery life will be a problem of the past.

Register to reply