Any Experience of ImageMagick ?

• Thread starter *Kia*
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, the person is trying to use image magick to create a birthday ticker, but is having issues. They are having difficulty with getting the process to work, and are wondering if something they are doing is notsimple and obvious.
*Kia*
Gold Member
Any Experience of "ImageMagick"?

I am *trying* to program a cgi script using perl.
The purpose of which is to create a "birthday ticker" (often seen in sigs on forums)

I have been attempting to use image magick to composite the to images (the rule and slide), however, I am having issues with getting this to work.
I have tried the imagemagick site and documentation however this appears to be about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Cheers hon, but I am trying to use it from a script not from the ImageMagick program GUI nor from the command line interface.
I want to call it from a perl script.

I don't think anything I suggested concerns the GUI (which I never used).

I only know how to use ImageMagick from the command line... or from a bash/perl script. If you look at the first URL, the stuff in the grey boxes are IM commands to be written on the command line.

In a perl script, I construct a string containing what I would have typed on the command line. Then I'd use perl's system() to invoke that command in the shell. (Note: Listing 1 in the second URL is a bash script.)

If you want to do fancier things, you'll need something like PerlMagick, which is now supposedly bundled with the Windows binaries. Here's a PerlMagick example (off the last URL) http://www.dylanbeattie.net/magick/composite/

:cry: Yup I've gone through those scripts on dylanbeattie and quite a bit from ron savage.
the one with the alpha transparency overlay just gives me an image not defined error OR (joy of joys) a blank white page.
I do have perl magick along with image magick and active perl.

I guess I'm probably missing something really simple and obvious.

thanks much appreciated :smile:

Maybe it's a version issue.
What versions are your perlmagick, imagemagick, and active perl?
Did you install from a binary? or from source? (I couldn't find a current complete Windows binary distribution.)

I've hesitated with perlmagick because I'm not sure if it really needs active perl... and if it does, if it interferes with perl on cygwin. I don't have anything compelling me to change my currently working setup... but I'd be interested in getting it to work when I have the time.

Is what you are doing so fancy that you couldn't just use perl to construct command lines passed via system()?

What is ImageMagick?

ImageMagick is a free and open-source software suite used for creating, editing, and converting images. It supports a wide range of image formats and can be used on various operating systems.

How does ImageMagick work?

ImageMagick uses a command-line interface to manipulate images. Users can specify a set of instructions or operations to be performed on an image, and ImageMagick will carry out those instructions and produce the desired output.

What are the key features of ImageMagick?

Some of the key features of ImageMagick include image resizing, cropping, rotation, color adjustments, adding text and shapes, converting between different image formats, and creating animations.

Is ImageMagick suitable for professional use?

Yes, ImageMagick is commonly used by professionals in fields such as graphic design, web development, and photography. It offers a wide range of features and can handle large batches of images efficiently.

Is ImageMagick difficult to use?

ImageMagick can be intimidating for beginners due to its command-line interface. However, there are also many tutorials and resources available online to help users learn how to use it effectively. Additionally, there are also graphical user interface (GUI) versions of ImageMagick available for those who prefer a more user-friendly experience.