What are some other amazing buildings worth visiting?

• Thread starter matthyaouw
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discussed various favorite buildings and landmarks, including York Minster, St. Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, Tate Modern, St. Peter's Basilica, Gaudi's Sagrada Familia, and the Taj Mahal. It also mentioned the effort to select a new set of the Seven Wonders of the World, along with lists of potential contenders such as the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Timbuktu, Sana'a, Alhambra, Forbidden City, and Old Havana. Other notable buildings mentioned were the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, the Ex National Centre for Popular Music in Sheffield, and the unfinished Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
I went to York Minster again the other day and snapped some pics. It's really an astounding sight, and you should see it if you get the chance.
minster5.jpg

minster1.jpg

minster4.jpg

What are some of your favorite buildings?

Physics news on Phys.org
i loved st paul's when i went. westminster abbey, on the other hand was ridiculously disappointing. the place was cluttered with so many statues, plaques, monuments, etc that it was hard to walk around & hard to see the building, if that makes any sense. i thought the tate modern was really cool; i had never appreciated modern art until i visited there. someday i want to see st peter's basilica, & i hope i live to see gaudi's sagrada familia in barcelona finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
that site listed the statue of liberty but i think i would pick the empire state building over it as a symbol of nyc. timbuktu is another excellent choice, the old city of sana'a (yemen), alhambra, the forbidden city, old havana... the list goes on. i'd love to go to all those places.

Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao
http://www.artdreamguide.com/adg/adg_ESP/ba_ESP/bilba_ba/m_gugge/img/_jpg/gugge_03.jpg
Ex National Centre for Popular Music, Sheffield
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/pt/e/ee/National_Centre_For_Popular_Music_Sheffield.jpg

and

The Sagrada Familia, Barcelona
p_61_La-Sagrada-Familia-barcelon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What makes a building beautiful?

A beautiful building often has a combination of factors, including its design, materials used, and its overall aesthetic appeal. Some may also consider the building's historical or cultural significance in determining its beauty.

2. Are there specific architectural styles that are considered more beautiful?

This is subjective and can vary from person to person. However, some popular architectural styles that are often considered beautiful include Gothic, Baroque, and Art Deco.

3. Can a building be considered beautiful if it is not functional?

While functionality is an important aspect of a building, it is not the only factor in determining its beauty. A building can still be visually appealing and admired for its design, even if it may not serve a practical purpose.

4. How do environmental factors affect the beauty of a building?

Environmental factors such as natural lighting, surrounding landscape, and climate can greatly impact the beauty of a building. These elements can enhance or detract from the overall aesthetic appeal of a structure.

5. Can a building retain its beauty over time?

The concept of beauty is subjective and can change over time. However, a well-maintained building that continues to be appreciated and admired by others can be considered beautiful for many years to come.