Can I do this in my microwave?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, ZachZach tried to do an experiment in his home microwave oven that involved plasma, but it was not successful. He warns others about the dangers of trying this type of experiment, and says that the microwave is not designed to handle this type of event.
Mk
http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/oa_plasmoid.htm
Is this possible, is it safe?

What are some fun things to do in your microwave? What would happen if I put a golfball in?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
I didn't bother to read your post, but knowing you and reading the title, I advise against it.

lol

I just put a potato chip bag in the microwave (I ate the chips) for four seconds. It was pretty darn cool. I highly recommend it!

Nothing much would happen to a dry golfball. If wet the water will heat up and go away as steam and then the dry golf ball will cool down.
Microwave heating requires some movable and excitable atoms in in water and liquids.
Right?

Well, if you want to heat it, but I'm not going for making it hot, I'm going for ARCING and sparking in EXPLOOOSHIONS!

what an interestingly dangerous hobby you have, let's hope you don't progress onto animal experimentation involving microwaves

Um, Mk, there was a microwave thread on here already, in general physics, I think. There were shenanigans. Hilarity did ensue. Check it out.

Oh, right, microwaves in physics doesn't narrow the search much. I found it. Ah, I'm so thoughtful. :smile: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=49340

Don't forget your safety goggles! :cool:

Edit: Oops, I thought this was in GD.

Last edited:
I am looking for some Physics content in this thread. Just sticking something in a microwave does not constitute physics. How about some meaningful observations or perhaps a measurment? Otherwise this will be moved to GD.

I just did it!

Well, I just did this experiment in front of my parents and I must admit, it is awesome!

I found that only a fairly large container will work. I tried a pint jar first, with no luck. Then I used a wide-mouth quart jar. This worked quite well, but I could never keep the plasma ball for more than a split second. It would move to the top of the jar and then flash away. After this, I decided to try a 1 gallon fish bowl. Unfortunately, this would not fit in my microwave.

If anyone else can try a bigger container, please try it and let me know what your findings are. I'm curious as to whether or not the duration, or even size, of the plasma is directly dependent on the size of the container being used.

I nearly whack my head off in an accelerator experiment(non-nuclear) involving rapidly accelerating masses. I can tell you this:

ANY experiment involving extreme physics can be dangerous or lethal. I would bet that you had your face less than 2-feet from the microwave door.
Look, home microwave ovens are NOT DESIGNED TO CONTAIN a possible catastrophic explosion. As your first experiment succeeded, you will undoubtedly attempt to "push the limit" and see what can happen with other substances and/or arrangements within your home microwave oven.

Please... consider the very real dangers you place yourself in.

pallidin said:
I nearly whack my head off in an accelerator experiment(non-nuclear) involving rapidly accelerating masses. I can tell you this:

ANY experiment involving extreme physics can be dangerous or lethal. I would bet that you had your face less than 2-feet from the microwave door.
Look, home microwave ovens are NOT DESIGNED TO CONTAIN a possible catastrophic explosion. As your first experiment succeeded, you will undoubtedly attempt to "push the limit" and see what can happen with other substances and/or arrangements within your home microwave oven.

Please... consider the very real dangers you place yourself in.

I don't fully understand the reactions that take place. Is there a chance of a serious, dangerous reaction?

All insight is greatly welcome,
-Zach

Zach, your scientific interest is commendable, however, the apparatus used is not designed to explore plasma phenomenon. It's designed to cook food.
Yes, there are SIGNIFICANT potential dangers if you alter its designed role.

Mostly, Zach, this does not come from tried and proven simple home microwave experiments, rather from people trying to see "what can happen" if they change something in an effort to "elevate" the experiment. Your mind is curious enough that this could happen, forgeting all along that the home microwave oven is not designed to handle extreme events.

pallidin said:
Zach, your scientific interest is commendable, however, the apparatus used is not designed to explore plasma phenomenon. It's designed to cook food.

Mostly, Zach, this does not come from tried and proven simple home microwave experiments, rather from people trying to see "what can happen" if they change something in an effort to "elevate" the experiment. Your mind is curious enough that this could happen, forgeting all along that the home microwave oven is not designed to handle extreme events.

Thanks. I'll let the microwave stick to its native job. Now, it's dinner time. I'm going to go warm up some fettucini alfredo :smile:

Is it ture that the author of hyperspace buit his own particle acceltor around the football field of his school?

I would take pallidin's advise of not performing any extrme secience experments at home.I see a lot of these sites about buiding you nuclear rector or particle acceltor or somthing like that.Those sites seem like there written by collage students who are in the frist year of physics.
You might want to read these before doing experment like that
http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/HTW/microwave_ovens.html
http://www.amasci.com/weird/microwave/voltage3.html
http://home.cvc.org/microwaves/microexp.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
pallidin said:

Really, pallidin. You are ruining my ambition.

I've always wanted to nominate someone for the Darwin Award. After reading this thread, I am THAT close to having one, possibly two, candidates. So back off, OK? Let Mother Nature takes its course.

:)

Zz.

Oh my god, I didn't think anybody would do it. This guy lived! Proof that it is not dangerous! Hope I come back tomorrow!

1. Can I cook raw meat in my microwave?

Yes, you can cook raw meat in your microwave, but it is important to make sure it is cooked thoroughly to avoid foodborne illness. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat and follow the recommended cooking times for your specific microwave.

2. Is it safe to use metal containers in the microwave?

No, it is not safe to use metal containers in the microwave. Metal can cause sparks and potentially damage your microwave. Stick to microwave-safe containers made of glass, ceramic, or plastic.

3. Can I microwave plastic containers?

Yes, you can microwave plastic containers, but make sure they are labeled as microwave-safe. Some plastic containers may release harmful chemicals when heated, so it is important to check the label before using them in the microwave.

4. Can I use my microwave to sterilize items?

Yes, you can use your microwave to sterilize items, but it is important to follow proper guidelines and precautions. Make sure the items are microwave-safe and that you have enough water to create steam. Use caution when handling hot items and allow them to cool before removing them from the microwave.

5. Can I use my microwave to dry herbs or flowers?

Yes, you can use your microwave to dry herbs or flowers, but it may not be the most effective method. The microwave can cause the herbs or flowers to lose their fragrance and color. It is best to use a dehydrator or air-dry them for the best results.