Exploring Habitability of Exoplanetary Systems

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planets
In summary, the authors have used measured properties of stars in known exoplanetary systems to estimate their present habitability and compared it to earlier work using a stellar evolution model. The results show that the present habitability of exoplanetary systems is insensitive to whether the evolutionary stellar model is used or measured stellar properties. The conversation then diverges into discussing various topics related to exoplanets, but it is not relevant to the original research.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0603200

Authors: Barrie W Jones, P Nick Sleep, David R Underwood
Comments: Being refereed

We have used the measured properties of the stars in the known exoplanetary systems to estimate their present habitability, and compared the outcome with earlier work, where we used a stellar evolution model to determine habitability throughout the main-sequence phase. This is to see whether the results are sensitive to stellar properties. The stellar properties in both pieces of work have been used to determine the present location of the classical habitable zone (HZ). To establish habitability, we estimate the critical distances from the giant planet(s) within which an Earth-mass planet would suffer large orbital changes. We then evaluate the present habitability of each exoplanetary system by examining the penetration of these critical distances into the HZ. For the present population of exoplanetary systems the results are insensitive to whether the evolutionary stellar model is used or measured stellar properties.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Frankly my dear, I'm not sure what discussion you are asking for?
For their own good reasons, the monitors for this site keep warning me off for failing to supply sources for my opinions. I'm a satirist, unfortunately a lazy satirist. So I don't do sources.

Are you seeking to discuss the methodology of research into exoplanets?

Or, do you wish to discuss speculated possibilities for Earth-type worlds?

Perhaps you want to discuss how to sort out all the conflicting floods of data, unverified evidence and bogus claims?

My preference would be to debate the moral and ethical standards we need to consider for every Human endeavor. A whole lot of people are willing to rationalize genocide against alien biospheres for a quick buck.

However, that dispute does not seem to be cogent to this site.

r8chard said:
Are you seeking to discuss the methodology of research into exoplanets?

Or, do you wish to discuss speculated possibilities for Earth-type worlds?
I dare to assume that the OP doesn't know anymore, what exactly he wanted to discuss after more than ten years.
r8chard said:
My preference would be to debate the moral and ethical standards we need to consider for every Human endeavor. A whole lot of people are willing to rationalize genocide against alien biospheres for a quick buck.

However, that dispute does not seem to be cogent to this site.
Yep, that would be a discussion for someone's hairdresser.

Thread closed.

Likes ExoExplorer and Bystander

1. What is the definition of habitability?

Habitability refers to the conditions that are necessary for an environment to support life. This can include factors such as the presence of water, suitable temperatures, and the ability to sustain complex chemical reactions.

2. How do scientists determine the habitability of exoplanetary systems?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the habitability of exoplanetary systems. This can include analyzing the planet's distance from its star, the composition of its atmosphere, and the presence of any potential life-sustaining elements.

3. What are some key factors that make a planet habitable?

Some key factors that make a planet habitable include the presence of liquid water, a stable and suitable atmosphere, and the right distance from its star to maintain temperatures that can support life.

4. Are there any exoplanetary systems that are currently considered to be potentially habitable?

Yes, there are several exoplanetary systems that are currently considered to be potentially habitable. These include Proxima Centauri b, TRAPPIST-1, and Kepler-452b.

5. Why is exploring the habitability of exoplanetary systems important?

Exploring the habitability of exoplanetary systems is important because it can help us better understand the conditions necessary for life to exist on other planets. It also allows us to expand our knowledge of the universe and potentially find other habitable worlds beyond our own.