Organic Chemistry - Camphor Synthesis

In summary, the monterpene camphor can be synthesized from acetyl-CoA and acetic acid in a biological manner. The Co-A group is phosphorylated by two moles of ATP, creating a leaving group (OPP) which joins the linear molecule to form the bicylcobridge in camphor. The biosynthesis involves the use of carbon 13 labeled acetic acid, prepared from carbon 13 enriched CO2 and normal CH3MgBr, which is then fed to Cinnamomum camphora. It is not specified if the bicylcobridge in camphor contains the C13 enriched carbon. However, it is known that camphor can also be easily synthesized from two
DDS
Hello guys and girls. I am writing to you all today in hopes that someone out there will be able to help me with my problem. I am asked to synthesize the molecule camphor starting merely from acetly-CoA and Acetic Acid. This must be done in a biological manner. Ie. The Co-A group will be phosporylated by two moles of ATP giving you a fanastic leaving group (OPP) which then can leave the join the linear molecule into its bicylco podcut.

Here is the question in full.

Outline all of the steps involved in the biosynthesis of the monterpene camphor from acetyl-CoA. Carbon 13 labeled acetic acid was prepared from Carbob 13 enriched CO2 and normal CH3MgBr. This acetic acid was then fed to the plant Cinnamomum camphora and camphor was isolated a few days later. Outline the biosynthesis and state wheter or not the bicylcobridge in camphor contains the C13 enriched Carbon or not.

Now for what i know; i know you can synthesize cmaphor easily from only two molecules of Isoprenes. However, in this scenario since it is asking for a biological perspective i am not sure if the body is capable of riping of an acidic hydrogen like LDA would and then forming a B-keto acid with the attached Co-A portion.

Any help would be extremely helpfull.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try out this link

http://www.iisc.ernet.in/academy/resonance/Oct1996/pdf/Oct1996p37-43.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Dear writer,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your organic chemistry problem. The synthesis of camphor from acetyl-CoA and acetic acid is a fascinating topic in biosynthesis. I am happy to provide some steps and insights that may help you in your assignment.

First, let's start with the biosynthesis of camphor from acetyl-CoA. Acetyl-CoA is a common intermediate in many metabolic pathways and can be derived from various sources such as glucose, fatty acids, and amino acids. In the case of camphor synthesis, acetyl-CoA is derived from fatty acid synthesis.

The first step in the biosynthesis of camphor is the phosphorylation of acetyl-CoA by two moles of ATP, as you mentioned. This results in the formation of acetyl phosphate, which is a fantastic leaving group with a high energy phosphate bond. The next step is the condensation of acetyl phosphate with another molecule of acetyl-CoA to form acetoacetyl-CoA. This reaction is catalyzed by the enzyme acetoacetyl-CoA thiolase.

Next, the acetoacetyl-CoA undergoes a series of reactions known as the mevalonate pathway, which converts it into isopentenyl pyrophosphate (IPP). This pathway involves several enzymes and intermediates and results in the formation of IPP, which is a five-carbon building block for terpenes.

In the final step, two molecules of IPP are condensed to form geranyl pyrophosphate (GPP), which contains 10 carbons. GPP is then converted into farnesyl pyrophosphate (FPP), which contains 15 carbons. Finally, FPP is converted into camphor through a series of cyclization and oxidation reactions.

Now, let's address the question of whether the bicylcobridge in camphor contains the C13 enriched carbon or not. As you mentioned, carbon-13 labeled acetic acid was used in the synthesis, which means that any carbon atoms derived from that acetic acid will also be labeled. Therefore, the bicylcobridge in camphor will contain the C13 enriched carbon.

I hope this explanation helps you in your assignment. Keep in mind that this is a simplified version of the biosynthesis of camphor, and there may be other enzymes and intermediates involved in the process. However, the main steps and reactions remain the same

1. What is the purpose of camphor synthesis in organic chemistry?

The purpose of camphor synthesis in organic chemistry is to create a synthetic version of the naturally occurring compound, camphor. This compound has many industrial and medicinal uses, such as a plasticizer in celluloid and a topical analgesic.

2. What is the chemical reaction involved in camphor synthesis?

The chemical reaction involved in camphor synthesis is the oxidation of the terpenoid compound, pinene. This reaction is typically carried out with an oxidizing agent, such as potassium permanganate or chromic acid, in the presence of a solvent.

3. What are the steps involved in camphor synthesis?

The steps involved in camphor synthesis include the oxidation of pinene, purification of the resulting crude product, and recrystallization to obtain pure camphor crystals. Additional steps may include isomerization and rearrangement reactions to produce different forms of camphor.

4. What are some common challenges in camphor synthesis?

Some common challenges in camphor synthesis include the low yield of the reaction, the need for careful control of reaction conditions, and the potential for side reactions to occur. Additionally, isomerization and rearrangement reactions can be difficult to control and may result in a mixture of different camphor compounds.

5. What are the practical applications of camphor synthesis?

Aside from its historical use as a moth repellent, camphor synthesis has many practical applications in the modern world. It is used as a plasticizer in the production of celluloid, as a topical analgesic and antipruritic, and as a flavoring agent in some foods and beverages. It also has potential applications in the synthesis of other compounds, such as pharmaceuticals and fragrances.