DVI Cable Pinout: End to End Info

• Thread starter 600burger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, a DVI (Digital Visual Interface) cable pinout is the specific arrangement of pins and their functions on a DVI cable. It is used to connect digital devices to displays for transmitting video and audio signals. There are two types of DVI cables: DVI-I (Digital Visual Interface-Integrated) and DVI-D (Digital Visual Interface-Digital). DVI-I supports both digital and analog signals, while DVI-D only supports digital signals. The type of DVI cable needed depends on the devices being connected. The extra pins on a DVI cable are used for carrying analog signals and are not used in digital-only connections. DVI cables cannot transmit audio, so a separate audio cable or a different type of cable
600burger
Anyone know the pinout on a DVI cable...does it cross over or is it straight through? Does pin 1 on one end connect to pin 1 on the other end?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try this
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html

Last edited by a moderator:

The pinout on a DVI cable is not a simple straight through connection like a basic audio or video cable. It is a bit more complex due to the different types of DVI connectors and the various configurations they can have.

In general, a DVI cable will have 24 pins arranged in three rows of eight pins each. The pins are numbered from left to right, with pin 1 on the left side of the connector.

The pinout for a DVI cable can vary depending on the type of DVI connector being used. For example, a DVI-D connector (digital only) will have a different pinout than a DVI-I connector (integrated digital and analog).

In terms of connecting the pins from one end to the other, it is not a simple one-to-one connection. Some pins will be connected to multiple pins on the other end, while others may not be connected at all.

If you are trying to determine the specific pinout for a particular DVI cable, it is best to consult the manufacturer's documentation or do some research online to find the correct pinout for your specific cable.

1. What is a DVI cable pinout?

A DVI (Digital Visual Interface) cable pinout refers to the specific arrangement of pins and their functions on a DVI cable. It is used to connect a computer or other digital device to a display, such as a monitor or TV, for transmitting video and audio signals.

2. What is the difference between DVI-I and DVI-D?

DVI-I (Digital Visual Interface-Integrated) supports both digital and analog signals, while DVI-D (Digital Visual Interface-Digital) only supports digital signals. DVI-I cables have more pins and are compatible with both DVI-I and DVI-D devices, while DVI-D cables have fewer pins and can only be used with DVI-D devices.

3. How do I know which DVI cable I need?

The type of DVI cable you need depends on the devices you are connecting. If both devices have DVI-I ports, you can use either a DVI-I or DVI-D cable. If one device has a DVI-I port and the other has a DVI-D port, you will need a DVI-I to DVI-D cable. If both devices have DVI-D ports, you will need a DVI-D to DVI-D cable.

4. What is the purpose of the extra pins on a DVI cable?

The extra pins on a DVI cable are used for carrying analog signals, such as those from VGA devices. These pins are not used in digital-only connections, which is why DVI-D cables do not have them.

5. Can I use a DVI cable to transmit audio?

No, DVI cables are only designed for transmitting video signals. If you need to transmit audio, you will need a separate audio cable or use a different type of cable, such as HDMI, that supports both video and audio signals.