Which scooter model is the best option for transportation and cost savings?

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scooter
In summary, the person wants to get a scooter because they think it will be fun and easier to get around. They looked into different models and found that the Honda was the best option for the price and the insurance. They hope to be able to get the scooter by the end of May.

Which do you like? (Please see pictures first.)

• Pertutti Motors - Solo Model

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Honda Motors - Jazz Model

• Yamaha Motors - 2006 Vino Classic

• Yamaha Motors - 2005 Vino Classic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
So, yes I want to get a scooter. It may sound funny to some people, but I think it will be great.

I stopped driving, and I'm finding it a pain in the arse to get to places especially work and the bank, which are the only places I'm going to now because of this.

I considered using the bus, but the bus system here isn't very good because our city isn't that large population wise. Unfortunately, everything in our city is also separated, and being on the outskirts isn't helping much either. Another down side to the bus pass is that it is also expensive. The cost of the bus pass will cover the insurance on the scooter.

I can go back to driving a car, but I rather not. Better for the environment and better for my wallet. :tongue2:

Anyways, check out the scooters I'm looking at:

Pertutti Motors
Solo Model
http://www.pertuttimotors.com/photos.html

Honda Motors
Jazz Model
http://www.honda.ca/NR/rdonlyres/eojx32xr2cihat3fyvufrcvvrltyiugwicpb3cbqohwnfwi2vyhk5zsfh72hn676iyxirbfmwhzbxq4mvy6cya2j3vd/Jazz_EN.pdf

Yamaha Motors
2006 Vino Classic
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelimage/150/4/1/0/image.aspx

2005 Vino Classic
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelimage/150/4/1/1/image.aspx

They are all about the same price, only the Honda is above like by $400.

I looked around for used ones, but I couldn't find any good ones. Also, I have to make sure the old bike can be insured. If it's not listed, it will probably cost more, so I want to avoid that.

In Ontario we must insure scooters now, and get a motorcycle license which I will do soon.

I hope to be on one by the end of MAY!

The savings in insurance and gas will pay for this scooter itself!

Anyways, which bike is your favourite?

Note: There are other models, but they are "extreme" (a.k.a. "ugly") looking and storage space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also note that the poll won't influence my decision. It's mostly for fun.

My decision will mostly be based on insurance, price, warranty, style, and then speed/storage. Yes, in that order. :biggrin:

Don't do it! Scooters are the spawn of Satan! :mad:

~H

Hootenanny said:

~H

Agreed.:approve:

I'm doing it.

I did look into motorcycles, but those are generally expensive and insurance is like double that of the scooter where I'm better off using my car.

Buy a motorcycle, wimp.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Buy a motorcycle, wimp.

For twice the price and twice the insurance, I don't think so.

It kind of ruins the whole purpose of the thing.

:rofl:

Scooters are for women and Italians.

cyrusabdollahi said:
:rofl:

Scooters are for women and Italians.

Actually, they are for the French too. I'm French. :tongue2:

Get a kick scooter, dude! Imagine how cool you'll look zipping down the street on one. :smile:

What are these things, sport-themed wheelchairs?

Doc Al said:
Get a kick scooter, dude! Imagine how cool you'll look zipping down the street on one. :smile:

Yeah, and take 3 hours to get to work! :eek:

Rach3 said:
What are these things, sport-themed wheelchairs?

BAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hear they are doing over 100 miles per elastic band now

Hootenanny said:

~H

thats so true. get a bike!

use public transport?

seriously, consider all options before getting a scooter, or you will be mocked forever more

Actually, given your location, the scooter isn't going to do you any good in the winter. I don't mind riding my bike in the rain (got a small bug-deflector windshield) but I don't like riding in the snow (although I have done so on a number of occasions). If public transportation is a pain (and expensive), you may be better off with a small car. It will get you around in all kinds of weather, and you will be a heck of a lot safer in traffic when some idiot runs a red light and you're in the intersection.

Last edited:
I rode one, once, it terrified me, you are so prone, imagine trying to steer a
chair on wheels, (nothing to grip) apart from ones bum, shudder.

In all honesty, this website gave all the negative feedback so far that I know of.

I went to work and asked about it. Everyone thought it'd be awesome, and are now waiting till I get mine to see what it's like. They are actually interested in it.

I'll probably pick up girls with it. :tongue2:

You guys seem so obsessed with getting something all powerful and what not for nothing. To look macho?

I have the cash to buy the thing, so why go out and buy a motorcycle where I will need credit for it? That's just flat out dumb.

Did anyone read my posts? I mentionned that a motorcycle makes no sense to what I'm trying to achieve. I'll lose money doing it.

Note For The Guy Talking About Winter: I get a free bus pass in the winter.

I'll probably pick up girls with it.

AAAAAHhahahahahaaha...oh man...i have to do that one more time,
AAAAAAAahhahahhahaahahhah...

You can buy a ninja 250cc brand new for 3,500 USD.

Insurance for 250cc is VERY low. Lame excuse buddy. Ditch the scooter.

I think my friends 250Ninja gets 65mpg, can your scooter top that? Your scooter won't go 1/5 as fast as his ninja either.

cyrusabdollahi said:
AAAAAHhahahahahaaha...oh man...i have to do that one more time,
AAAAAAAahhahahhahaahahhah...

You can buy a ninja 250cc brand new for 3,500 USD.

Insurance for 250cc is VERY low. Lame excuse buddy. Ditch the scooter.

LOW!

I asked about that. It was more than twice the price!

I looked at Scooter Clubs and seen some pictures... and the girls...

Yeah for $3500USD! That's a lot man. I'm paying $2000 CANADIAN DOLLARS. You're asking me to ditch out another $3000CDN! That's just dumb. On top of the $2000 in insurance or more! I'm 22 remember!

I don't have that kind of money and yes it ruin the purpose. It's not a lame excuse.

Your excuse to buy a motorcycle is lame. To be a macho man. Haha. I hope you had a girl before or else your opinion about girls is kind of meaningless.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Can you put a price on self respect??

$3,500 bucks USD is not a lot of money. (That's for a brand NEW one)

cyrusabdollahi said:
:rolleyes:

Can you put a price on self respect??

$3,500 bucks USD is not a lot of money. (That's for a brand NEW one)

Is that how you view self-respect?

How sad. It must be an American thing or something.

Note: I'm buying a brand NEW scooter too.

Anyways, I'm out for the night or for awhile anyways. Later.

Ahahahhahahaha, good luck getting all the women in your scooter. Just leave some for the rest of us. :rofl:

Meep meep,

Cyrus

Sorry, I have no respect for guys riding around in scooters. Even WOMEN ride motorcycles these days.

Last edited:
It may be different in Canada Jason, but as you can see there is very little respect for "scooters" in the US. Not that it matters either way, do what is best for you, and getting a scooter seems to be best for you. I say go for it :smile:

Screw you, and your scooter, buddy! :rofl:

No sorry but I think scooters and picking chicks up is just.. is just not funny :rofl: :rofl:

Get a used motorcycle -- kawasaki ninja 250r - you won't have to break it in and it'll cost you about $1500 USD. You'll get on average 65-75 miles per gallon on it. I'm actually considering getting it for commute to work and school and different hospitals. The parking is blast in the city, but keep in mind - scooter or motorcycle - neither have any seatbelts. I'd be careful about using a bike/scooter on an urban road.

sure its not 115 miles per gallon like a scooter.. but cmon you can't possibly ENJOY a scooter!

Last edited:
Ack don't get a scooter! That's no fun at all! They are getting really popular though, tons of people are riding them around the city, but I just don't see the appeal. I need something that goes fast haha.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Even WOMEN ride motorcycles these days.

Heck yeah :cool:

And a good old fashioned, human-powered, bicycle is out of the question?

I have briefly contemplated getting an [electric] scooter from time to time to take the strain off my legs, especially in the hot summer and cold winter, but it just seems too much like "cheating".

You don’t have to insure bicycles, they are cheaper, you get exercise, better for the environment, and you get a certain amount of respect from people (wow, you rode all the way here?).
On the downside, poor weather is a pain, slower, long distance destinations can pose problems, you have to deal with idiot drivers, and less carrying capacity.

Out of those scooters though, I think I like "Vino Classic" ones the best.

I agree with mrjeffy321 about the bycycle (tho its a bit crap cycling uphill into the wind and rain at 6.00am in the morning for 12 miles after a nights work) If you do go for a scooter I would go for the cheapest, crappiest and most worn out looking, (but reliable) contraption you can find so that you can explain away your choice of ride much easier to the jeering masses. Trying to get a *cool looking* scooter is perhaps asking for trouble.

Last edited:
F**kers ride the scooters on the cycle paths over here :mad:

And I'm not sure how many of the kids working for the local Kebab shops have licences - or how many are old enough to ride a scooter :biggrin:

Still, if I was in England, I'd chav it up - including putting a few holes in the exhaust for that superbike sound :tongue: :biggrin:

This has to be the saddest thread that I've ever been part of.

First, no one shows signs of reading any posts, nevermind the first one.

Second, those who did read completely forgot it!

Third, they completely try to change my goal into a "want" instead of a "need".

I don't care about motorcycles. I'm not interested in them. They will NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT serve my purpose. I will NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT save any money going with a motorcyle. Yes, I checked. I even called for insurance quotes for smaller bike. My dad owns a bike. I DID LOOK INTO IT!

And this whole thing that scooters are lame or what not is just flat out sad. I think mattmns is right about how the US probably doesn't accept that sort of thing.

Like honestly, everyone thinks it's a great idea that I know of. My good buddy said it sounds great. Yes, if I could by a motorcycle, I most likely would. Other guys from work think it's good. Like you all have no influence on my decision, and the thought of doing this thread was for sure fun, but everyone is so inconsiderate it's not possible.

I wasn't even going to ask anyone because I was sure that the response towards buying a scooter wouldn't ever be a problem. Unfortunately, after a handful of responses from here, I wasn't sure. But asking a few from around or more specifically IN CANADA, people were more positive. It's almost a disgrace to this website.

I haven't told my dad yet (parents separated), but I know doubt know that he would think it's cool. He has a big bike and he's part of a club as the leader and everything.

About the girls, I WILL PROBABLY PICK UP WITH IT!

With the attitudes I've seen here, or the past two months, no wonder some of you don't pick up at all. Everyone is so externally focused it's just sad.

If you are going to get a scooter - don't get one of them twattish ones like Jamie Oliver rides, get one like the kids are riding...

http://www.pressefach.info/kiska/200412-generic-scooter_small.jpg

All the ones you suggest look a bit... rubbish.

http://www.kymco.co.uk/images/scooters/super9s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Front Tire 10” aluminium
Rear Tire 10” aluminium

The Solo has aluminum tires

The Vino classic

Type 49cc, liquid-cooled, 4-stroke single
Bore x Stroke N/A
Compression Ratio N/A
Carburetion 14mm Teikei
Ignition N/A
Transmission V-belt automatic

:confused: :confused:

Jason,

One thing I don't like about all those scooters (in the OP) is that the headlights are mounted to the frame rather than the fork. (The Honda link didn't work for me.)

And I feel sorry for the people that need to ride a motorcycle to feel manly.