Recycling Atoms in each breath

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that every human has up to a billion atoms that were once part of other humans, including famous figures like Shakespeare. The concept is supported by a book by Harlow Shapley and a quote from Hamlet. The validity of this concept is debated, with one person providing a logical argument and another suggesting that it may be oversimplified.
shetland
Hey everyone,

Currently reading a new book by Bill Bryson, "A short history of nearly everything".

Well, despite the title, clearly even a short history would be a very, very big book, still the read is quite addicting, and there are many scientific areas to which I was quite unfamiliar (Geophysics, Geology for example - Yellowstone is a big volcano!).

There was one instance in the book, that gave me considerable pause - the author "states" that each one of us has up to a billion atoms that were once other humans, those who lived long ago. A specific example used was Shakespeare.

At first glance, I thought, well, yeah, a billion atoms is an infinitesimal number that actually comprise us - and I'm assuming what they are referring to is oxygen/gas that people inhaled & exhaled.

The little know about how dynamic the atmosphere is, not only with oxygen, nitrogen, but even carbon particulates, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that very quickly these become homogeneously distributed throughout the biosphere.

I mentioned this little kernel to a friend, and they asked me if I was a member of a new religion! That this was time-worn cliche, not worthy of the effort to speak it.

The little googling I did, I came up with a book by Harlow Shapley, "Beyond the Observatory", which delineates the journeys of the inert gas argon. We take in like 3x10^19 atoms in every breath, and in one week these atoms are already distributed through the country. And so on...

Anyone have a little more ammunition, er, I mean info, that I might use to supplant my argument?

Shelley

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by shetland
The little googling I did...
What you found seems to me to be a pretty good start - and end - to your response. Your logic is impeccable and I suspect that your friend hasn't considered just how small a billion is compared with the size/number of atoms out there for us to interact with.

One of my favorites from thermodynamics is that with every breath that you take, there is about a 100% chance that you will inhale at least one air molecule that was exhaled by Julius Caesar in his dying breath.

I also suspect that this calculation is somewhat oversimplified. The oceans, plants, rocks etc can trap atoms for a very long time and this is not accounted for in these problems. I don’t know if this becomes significant or not.

Originally posted by shetland
There was one instance in the book, that gave me considerable pause - the author "states" that each one of us has up to a billion atoms that were once other humans, those who lived long ago. A specific example used was Shakespeare.
Interesting that Shakespeare is used as an example of a notion he himself contemplated in Hamlet

Hamlet: (Examining Yorick's scull) Dost thou think Alexander lookt o' this fashion i' th'earth?

Horatio: E'en so.

Hamlet: And smelt so? Pah! [puts down the scull]

Horatio: E'en so my lord.

Hamlet: To what base uses we may return, Horatio! Why may not imagination trace the noble dust of Alexander till he find it stopping a bung hole?

Horatio: 'Twere to consider too curiously, to consider so.

Hamlet: No, faith, not a jot; but to follow him thither with modesty enough, and likelihood to lead to it; as thus; Alexander died, Alexander was buried, Alexander returneth into dust; the dust is the earth; of Earth we make loam; and why of that loam whereto he was converted might they not stop a beer-barrel?
Imperious Caesar, dead and turned to clay,
Might stop a hole to keep the wind away:
O, that the Earth that kept the world in awe
Should patch a wall t'expel the winter's flaw!

I think this is true, though I have never personally done an experiment to find out the size of one of these so called 'atoms'. I tend to just take the word of scientists for the truth and assume pressure from th scientific community prevents incorrectness from becomming widely accepted.

1. How do atoms get recycled in each breath?

When we breathe, we inhale oxygen molecules which are broken down into individual atoms. These atoms are then used in various metabolic processes in our body, such as producing energy or building new cells. The byproduct of these processes is carbon dioxide, which we exhale. This carbon dioxide contains carbon atoms that were originally part of the oxygen molecules we breathed in, making it a recycling of atoms in each breath.

2. Is the recycling of atoms in each breath beneficial for the environment?

Yes, the recycling of atoms in each breath is essential for maintaining a balance in the environment. Plants use carbon dioxide from the air to carry out photosynthesis, producing oxygen that we breathe in. This process helps regulate the levels of carbon dioxide and oxygen in the atmosphere, making it beneficial for all living organisms.

3. Are all atoms recycled in each breath?

No, not all atoms are recycled in each breath. While oxygen and carbon atoms are recycled, other elements such as nitrogen and hydrogen are not. These elements are essential for our body's functions and are constantly being replenished through our diet.

4. How long does it take for the atoms in each breath to be recycled?

The recycling of atoms in each breath is a continuous process and is not limited to a specific timeframe. The rate at which atoms are recycled depends on various factors such as our metabolism, physical activity, and environment. On average, it is estimated that a single atom can be recycled in as little as 1 second.

5. Can the recycling of atoms in each breath be disrupted?

Yes, the recycling of atoms in each breath can be disrupted by various factors such as air pollution, smoking, and respiratory diseases. These can affect the quality of the air we breathe in, making it difficult for our body to efficiently recycle atoms. It is important to take care of our respiratory health and reduce our impact on the environment to ensure the continuous recycling of atoms in each breath.